Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Pro/Toshiba Satellite

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MrChanceMan

MrChanceMan

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:07 AM

Hey guys, I'm having some issues with doing a clean install of Windows 7 Pro on a Toshiba Satellite laptop.

Initially, I was getting upwards of 10 to 20 errors during installation. To try and remedy this, I changed the BIOS settings to Compatibility, and got almost to the end. Now I'm getting error "windows restarted unexpectedly, or encountered  an unexpected error" will finish install upon restart, blah blah blah. 

Any ideas? It's a good copy, I'm sure of that. I've used it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

What is the model of this laptop?

Is the installation media for this version of Windows?

Where did this disc come from?

Edited by dc3, 03 July 2016 - 10:31 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MrChanceMan

MrChanceMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:41 AM

Toshiba Satellite C655, installing Windows 7 Pro from flash. It's a full licensed copy of windows.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:55 AM

It looks like that computer has a recovery partition which can be used to format and reinstall the operating system.  Why aren't you using this?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 MrChanceMan

MrChanceMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:59 AM

Well, I couldn't get it to recognize the partition during restore for one. For two, I wanted to run Pro instead of Home Premium

Now that the install has started, the original Windows won't boot. Just keeps trying to complete the install. I guess the next thing I need to do is run restore from boot. Not sure how to do that with this model, but I'll look it up.

#6 MrChanceMan

MrChanceMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:06 PM

Well, everything I've read online says I need to hold down 0 (zero) during boot to open restore, but it doesn't work. It goes straight to the windows boot manager, and either version of Windows starts the install back up and error screens again

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:12 PM

If you have the installation media and a legal Windows product code I would suggest wiping the hdd and then install the operating system.

Darik's Boot and Nuke is freeware program which will overwrite the hdd.

#8 MrChanceMan

MrChanceMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:16 AM

Thanks, that just might work. Question though; do I boot this program from disk? I have tried this several times now, but the pc keeps trying to start windows after I select the CD from boot manager. I'm starting to think this machine is just fried :/

#9 MrChanceMan

MrChanceMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:21 AM

Driver related, maybe?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:46 AM

Thanks, that just might work. Question though; do I boot this program from disk? I have tried this several times now, but the pc keeps trying to start windows after I select the CD from boot manager. I'm starting to think this machine is just fried :/

This is a bootable disc.  You will need to open the BIOS and change the boot order so that your optical drive is the first device in the boot order and the HDD/SSD is the second device in order to boot from the disc.

When the disc is recognized you will be prompted to press any key to continue.  I just top the space bar.

You can use the instructions below to burn the Dban ISO to a disc.

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.  

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Edited by dc3, 07 July 2016 - 09:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users