Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Boot Question

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:37 PM

hey,
I have been searching for ways to startup or shutdwon my computer faster, I have decreased my shutdown time from 22 secs to 10.37secs, and I have decreased my boot time as well, but one of the tricks that can certainly make my computer to boot faster was to modify EnablePrefetcher from 3 to 1, and this option was not recommended? I have tested, but it seems that nothing wrong has happened to my computer with that registry modifying, therefore why is it not recommended? It has shaved of my boot time for another 7secs!!

please help

Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 11 August 2006 - 10:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:09 AM

hello? anyone ?

#3 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:27 AM

I'm not familiar with the program by any means but I would imagine the reason they would discourage the '3rd' step would be because it involves editing the registry, and this is very dangerous in the hands of a novice computer user. It's important that you backup your registry when you complete a regedit. If a novice makes a wrong move in the registry there could devastating effects on the computer as there are no safeguards protecting you from mistakes.
David

#4 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:44 AM

Hello,

I cannot give advice because I do not have the knowledge, but I do wonder why you want a faster computer. This box of tricks takes anything from two minutes to two and a half minutes to boot up. It is loaded with useful programmes [mostly security] and it is useful to have them start when I boot up. Yes, I occasionally have a look at the list of my start up programmes and I sometimes decide to zap one or two of them, but it doesn't make much difference to the boot up speed. And as for the closing down speed, does that really matter? Live with it my friend. Being big, and fast, is not always beautiful!

And as for messing about with the registry? No way!

Best wishes. whatapalaver.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:19 AM

Disabling prefetch or modifying its capabilities may give you faster startup or shutdown speed but will lenghten the amount of time it takes to search the web or surf - because that is what prefetch is designed to do - shorten the time for that.

Why do you see that as something beneficial?

#6 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

I have decreased my shutdown time from 22 secs to 10.37secs,

Dang, my AMD Athlon 1.7 gig with 768 megs of ram takes over 2 minutes to get totally booted up with WinXP SP2. :thumbsup:

#7 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:51 PM

2 mins? abit slow. I mean really slow. You should search for startup tips or tweaks, they would help.

does anyone have comments about the program, super fast shutdown? It works perfectly for me.

any opinions?

#8 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:57 PM

Disabling prefetch or modifying its capabilities may give you faster startup or shutdown speed but will lenghten the amount of time it takes to search the web or surf - because that is what prefetch is designed to do - shorten the time for that.

Why do you see that as something beneficial?

I did not see any difference in web surfing, and I boot much faster with that option(modifying prefetch). It saved alot of time when loading into windows.

#9 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:54 AM

But why do you want to go faster? Why the desire for speed? What will you gain?

Cheers, whatapalaver

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:22 PM

The purpose of prefetch isn't just speeding things up - it's speeding certain things up (the apps that you use the most frequently). As with most of the Windows OS's - this is done with the average user in mind.

Most folks here aren't average users. They're curious about how their system works, and are able to make changes to improve things on their particular machine. And those changes may/may not work on another system - or in the way that another user thinks that they should.

So, prefetch has it's pro's and it's con's - it's up to you to decide which is best for you. And the only way to do this for sure is to read until you understand enough to make informed decisions. I spent many years tweaking my little butt off and not getting anywhere. Then I started to research things and 1) my system started getting faster and 2) I had less of a need for the "fancy" tweaks to get the performance that I wanted.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:54 AM

2 mins? abit slow. I mean really slow. You should search for startup tips or tweaks, they would help.

WinXP has never started up that quick, even after a clean install.

If there is something I could do to speed it up, let me know. :thumbsup:

#12 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:21 AM

go to google and search for startup tips or tweaks or anything similar to that, I have saved about 50secs with those tweaks.

PS: dont use the bootvis tool, it is not very helpful for speeding up, but if you want to use it as a benchmarker thats fine.

#13 AlexCYS

AlexCYS

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:45 PM

haha.. i think u all should be grateful lo... coz my comp previously startup need 10-15 min.... I on the comp... went toilet... wash face.... chat with friends... but then the screen remain the same.... But after i reformatted it then it's much more better lo... now less than 5 min can load into windows... but i wondering izit the effect of worms????

#14 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:14 PM

its hard to tell actually, but anyways, it seems that you are happy with your computer now, and that's good.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:39 AM

Could be worms, but might not be.

Generally most systems will experience a gradual slowdown as more programs are added to the system over time (presuming you're not doing maintenance directed at stopping this).

With a worm, the change will be more sudden - but that depends on the worm's ability to spread throughout your system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users