Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slimjet....Go Through Settings...Button It Up

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:46 AM

After viewing the comments such as http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/406036/cheesemakers-linux-corner/page-230#entry4033056

I installed it in my 32 bit Ubuntu 14.04. 

I was disappointed in seeing all of the links to shopping and undesireable search engines such as Ask. Easy enough to delete them but I couldn't help 

but think this browser is being used to make bucks through advertising. 

I went through the settings and did some unchecking and checking to tighten it up as far as security and calling home. But I'm still a bit leery. 

I did allow it to import bookmarks but hesitated to allow it to import passwords. That may come later after using it for a few days. 

Checked out the config for its default Ad blocker. It uses the Easy list and appears to get it from my favorite Adblock Plus. I prefer Adblock Plus' 

UI and controls over this stripped down version....

It is snappy....quick to load. 

I would appreciate any comments from those who have used its downloader, image uploader, etc. 

Or any other comments that will help others and me. 

EDIT: It does use 250 mb of disk space so that should be taken into consideration of those with very limited available space. 

Edited by buddy215, 03 July 2016 - 09:52 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:54 AM

I have no problem with ads supporting a browser or forum.

Bleeping Computer runs ads to help pay the cost of running this forum just as Slimjet does to help pay for the costs of running their browser.

Ads of this nature help to pay costs to keep the forums and browsers running so I have no complaints with them and actually click them so that the forums and browsers receive money from the ads being ran.

When you are using ad blocker / ad block and not allowing the ads to show the forum or browser doesn't receive any money from the ads they are displaying.

To many forum users never consider the amount of bandwidth or the cost of the of bandwidth to run a forum.

Only my opinion.

Edited by vacuum-tube, 03 July 2016 - 11:14 AM.

#3 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:01 PM

Hey...if you see an ad for something like the company suing BC...then go for it. 

But...just my opinion...clicking on ads for say smart phones is ripping off those companies. Reminds me of ad sellers paying 

users to click on ads for profit. Some would call that fraud or theft. Again...just my opinion. 

Something I did see in playing around with Slimjet is a movie site that I had given up on using works perfectly without registering and 

complaining about flash or anything else. That's a plus for the browser. 

EDIT: just clicked on the Menu icon and viewed Ad Block. You can disable on selected sites and pages. You can block specific ads. 

Very much like Adblock Plus...another plus for the browser. Since you can install Google Chrome Apps it would be simple to install 

Adblock Plus and use it if one wanted to do that. 

Edited by buddy215, 03 July 2016 - 01:12 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:00 PM

Hi, Buddy.

As the one who initially mentioned it on Bleeping Computer, I can honestly say it beats Chrome hands-down in most areas.....and for me, it's largely replaced Chrome. With one glaring exception; it won't run NetFlix. (*groan*)

It appears the SlimJet developers haven't coded in the necessary support for the HTML5 player that NetFlix uses; I did read about their reasons some weeks ago, but can't remember where I got the link from at the moment. If I rediscover it I'll post it here.

A bunch of us on the Puppy Forums were trying, a while back, to see which other browsers you could get NetFlix to work with. We found it would work with any version of Chromium from 49 onwards, since Chromium now has the Encrypted Media Extensions setting (under 'chrome://flags') set 'on' by default.....all you need to do is to 'borrow' the libwidevinecdm.so and libwidevinecdmadapter.so modules from a contemporary version of Chrome (just copy 'em over to the Chromium directory in Linux. In Windows, I'm afraid, this process doesn't work for some arcane reason!)

After that, you're away. SlimJet, although based on Chromium, has had a lot of extra stuff added, and some of the basic things removed, so.....you pays your money and makes your choice. I'd still recommend it to anyone who's not happy with Google's 'nosey' attitude.

Re; the Turbo downloader, and image shrinker for upload, I honestly haven't tried them yet.....but Mikeslr, one of the Puppy Forum's 'stalwarts', has; and he reckons the 'Turbo downloader' works exceptionally well. That's a recommendation from an ex-lawyer!

Don't bother too much with adblockers, personally (although I leave SlimJet's running anyway); I use Ghostery, and that blocks just about everything the web can chuck at me.....And as for passwords, I always disable the built-in password managers in every browser I run. I use LastPass, instead.....which is accessible from anywhere. (And I do change my 'master' password on a regular basis.)

EDIT:- Found the link.....it was on the Puppy Forums.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=897754#897754

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 03 July 2016 - 02:26 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:28 PM

I have only a few select websites that I click on from ads and those are just on my antique radio forums for electronics parts.

On the radio forums there is a list of ads that pay to the forum if posters click on the ad and those are the only ones that should be clicked on.

I only click on websites that I have an interest in and it sure isn't any cell phone adds.

I never have it auto fill anything or save anything wipe as it closes.

Never save passwords or anything enter it each time.

Don't ever worry about adobe as I never install it.

#6 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:49 PM

For those who use BleachBit.....I did check and Slimjet is not one of things it will clean...as of today. Which reflects the

small number of users of Slimjet. I intend to suggest to BleachBit to add it. A bit surprised that hasn't been done. BleachBit

updated today when I opened it....I see several new cleaners added.

Mike_Walsh....thanks for that info.

#7 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:09 PM

Mike_Walsh or anyone else who may have updated SlimJet.......

I have version 10.0.7 installed.  I see that 11.0.2.0 is the latest and was released yesterday....the 19th of July.

Should I update? If some comments I saw are correct there is a ton of security holes filled.

What is the simplest way to do that without losing settings, bookmarks,etc if that is possible?

Is the latest version compatible with Ubuntu 12.04?

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:16 AM

Hi, Buddy.

I've currently got 11.0.1.0 installed, both as 32- and 64-bit installs. An acquaintance on the Puppy Forums packages the 32-bit versions for Puppy, and I take care of the 64-bit versions. 

I don't tend to update every single time a new release comes out, since FlashPeak release these about every other week. I'd never be off it if I gave into it. I update every 3rd or 4th release. Also, many subsequent releases simply tend to be reworks on the same Chromium version base.

I would upgrade to 11.0.2.0 if you're on 10.0.7.0, though.....and yes, it should be totally compatible with 'Precise'. 11.0.2.0 is based on the next version of Chromium to what 10.0.7.0 was; there will be security enhancements.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:55 AM

I notice you said upGRADE...not upDATE. So, that means a complete uninstall of 10 and install of 11....right?

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

Hi again, Buddy.

I'm not certain of the filesystem layout in Ubuntu; haven't used it for a couple of years. But in Ubuntu, if you just uninstall the package itself, and don't touch the hidden config files in your /home folder, those settings should be restored when you install the new version. At least, that's how it works in Puppy; except with Pup, it's your /root folder as opposed to your /home folder. Pup doesn't have a /home folder, 'cos it runs as root all the time; it's not a true 'multi-user' system in the same way that Ubuntu is. Pup's /root folder is the equivalent of the 'buntus /home folder.

I think that should work the same way for you. In Pup, you have entries in the ~/.cache & ~/.config folders; I believe the 'buntus have something similar.

Anybody else who knows more about this than I do, feel free to chime in..!

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 21 July 2016 - 12:03 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#11 vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:58 PM

I notice you said upGRADE...not upDATE. So, that means a complete uninstall of 10 and install of 11....right?

I believe the newer version installs and replaces the older versions so that you don't lose any of your settings and bookmarks.

Don't hold me to that but on my Ubuntu 16.04 when I updated / upgraded to the latest release I just downloaded and installed and that was it.

The whole process took only seconds to complete and all settings and bookmarks were still in place.

That is the way it worked for me.

#12 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:14 PM

So....I opened Slimjet....clicked on the menu...chose to download 11.....clicked on the download which took a few seconds....it opened the Ubuntu Software Center to the Slimjet listing...

clicked on upgrade....and wooolaaa....Slimjet 11 installed. Opened Slimjet and all custom settings including bookmarks were preserved during upgrade.

Thanks...to both of you!

Before asking about how to do this I looked through the FAQs and only saw info for Windows.

72407339fhcii_sm.png

#13 vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:06 PM

Hey buddy215,

Great glad to help and you are welcome.

The PoorGuy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users