Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General Malware Removal Guide

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mrmike1989

mrmike1989

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:14 AM

Does anyone know of a sort of generic malware removal guide, one that goes into depth on how to read the logs, what to look for, what action to take based on the logs? Which programs to run and why etc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

Does anyone know of a sort of generic malware removal guide, one that goes into depth on how to read the logs, what to look for, what action to take based on the logs? Which programs to run and why etc?

I've been almost three years studying that topic. If it were only that simple.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#3 mrmike1989

mrmike1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

Likewise, maybe not to the extent you have though. I might start compiling my findings and publish a guide that other fellow malware fighters can add to. I started with this guide, and have had success using it.

Edited by mrmike1989, 03 July 2016 - 10:30 AM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:08 AM

From your guide: (bold red mine)

This article is a comprehensive guide, which will remove most of malware infections that may reside on your computer. And if you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, then we strongly advise you follow this guide to check and remove any infection that you might have on your computer.

You contradict yourself. "Any" is a lot different from "most".

"Any" implies that whatever is on the computer, those tools will get rid of it.

The tools you mention are excellent and effective. They are used by malware removal helpers everyday here at Bleeping Computer.

However, there are times when more powerful tools are needed when those tools don't work. For those post in Am I Infected, if advanced tools are needed, they are directed to the Malware Removal Logs prep guide which uses DDS as a starting point.

If they did get rid of "any" malware removal would be a very simple process and we would have no need for the Malware Response Team.

Overall, it is a good guide for basic steps someone can do on his/her own.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 July 2016 - 11:15 AM.

#5 powernub

powernub

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:12 AM

Thanks for the guide link, seems like a great resource for novice malware cleaners like myself.

#6 mrmike1989

mrmike1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:26 AM

My bad folks, I think I might have gave the impression that I wrote that article, I did not. I wanted to use the article as a starting point for clearing malware, and as starting point for my own guide that I intend to write, mainly so that I don't forget everything. As Queen-Evie has mentioned, it lists some excellent tools and shows you the order in which to use them. I am looking to gain a little more knowledge and understand exactly why we run the tools in the order that we do, and how to read and make decisions based on the logs. Essentially, I want to be able to remove as much malware as I can without pestering the Malware Response Team.

Edited by mrmike1989, 04 July 2016 - 07:28 AM.

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:13 AM

Thanks.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 snehacapoor

snehacapoor

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:20 AM

The guide you are using is only for windows but what about Android and other platform. 

#9 gtrejo

gtrejo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:09 AM

Maybe you can try the Malware Removal Training Program here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users