Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP 2050 not visable in WIn 8.1 Dell laptop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:45 AM

I have a 2050 printer that I was originally running with an XP PC. I acquired a Dell Inspiron 17R SE and have never been able to get the printer to work. The driver CD I know wont work as those drivers are outdated so I went online and have tried multiple driver versions with no result.

The Dell has since been upgraded to  WIn 8.1 and the printer has just sat there being unable to get it to install.

Yesterday ( after more than a year) I am trying again as the printer is practically brand new having only printed 6 times since purchase.

I downloaded the HP Prt/ Scn Doctor and it did a few things. However the printer is still not visable  in my computer. That utility only inserted a shortcut to the printer on my desktop.

I did the instruction of going in safe mode and making all folders visible yet the printer is not seen. I also selected LPT1 as its port cause it was originally named virtual printer. After more than 8 hrs in total trying to get this to be visible I have been unable to do so. Oh I have also changed the USB cable and tried all of the USB ports and my USB hub. My Dell is running WIFI but the printer is hard wired to it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:23 PM

This should be the driver for your HP2050 and 8.1

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL32609/al-109407-3/DJ2050_J510_1313-1.exe

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 July 2016 - 07:23 PM.

#3 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the link but this is not the source of my problem at present. The HP Prt / Scn Dr downloaded an HP Printer assistant...which will allow me to print from an open document. It downloaded this shortcut on my desktop. However my laptop is not seeing any printers attached to it at all. The 2050 ...or for that matter of fact any printer is not visible on my laptop. its as though I have no connected printers.. only the fax and  Microsoft XPS writer are visible. Why can this printer not be listed on my devices?

Edited by Nigelajodha, 04 July 2016 - 08:52 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:54 AM

Is the printer connected directly to the laptop? Open Devices and Printers. Click on the XPS printer. In the menu bar you will see Server Properties. Click on it. Under the driver tab do you see any HP drivers present? If you do not see any HP drivers then for some reason the driver install failed. 

Did you reinstall the drivers after upgrading to 8.1?

Also make sure your Spooler service is started and set to automatic.

In your first post you said

I also selected LPT1 as its port cause it was originally named virtual printer. If your printer is connected by USB then it is normal to have it listed as being a virtual printer port. It should be listed as Virtual printer port for USB.

You can also try adding the printer manually, selecting the 2050 on a virtual USB port.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 July 2016 - 08:06 AM.

#5 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for keeping  interest.. I did as you said. The HP 2050 drivers are listed on the XPS properties. The spooler has been stopped and restarted. In device manager the printer is seen. However if one goes to add a printer and it searches the results are there are no printers visible. I have read that apparently this is an outstanding ...unresolved issue with many users. Some blame Microsoft others HP. 

So I can print using the HP assistant that has downloaded a shortcut unto the desktop however there is no printer visible on this laptop

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:22 PM

The only thing I can think of is to uninstall your driver in control panel. Go to Server Properties and remove all your HP listings under the driver tab if present.

Download USBdeview. Run the program and remove any HP printer listing if present then reinstall the 8.1 driver I linked to. Other than that I am out of ideas on this one, sorry.

Edit: When you manually added a printer it did a search and could not find a printer. Did Windows 8.1 give you the option to install to a local port after the search? Edit Edit: Click on the link saying my printer was not listed. You should get the option to add a local printer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 July 2016 - 07:29 PM.

#7 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:08 PM

Thanks again John. I will go try your latest fix. My worst case scenario would be to see this printer and buy one of those that come up in listing when loading a printer manually.

I know I should not be doing this but....would you be interested in viewing my laptop?  I am thinking of allowing you to remotely view my PC. We don't know each other but users have to trust each other as the ethics of this site lays out. It would be the first time I am ever doing this

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:12 PM

Sorry, Bleeping Computer does not allow responders to remotely access posters computers. I can say that Canon printers have the best drivers for Windows 8 and higher.

#9 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:28 PM

Ok then thanks

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:43 PM

No problem. Please try the fix I suggested. Hopefully it will detect the printer. I currently have a canon ip2700 on a Windows 8.1 computer and there have been zero issues. If you do decide to purchase a new printer make sure the heads are located in the cartridge itself. The cartridges are a little more expensive but you will not be replacing an expensive head in few years and refilling the cartridges is easier. Look up the canon printer you are interested in. See what the cartridge number is and then look it up on ebay to see if generic cartridges are available which are cheaper than the OEMs and work just as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users