Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do you think its worth learning Sever 2012 & up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sweedishfish

sweedishfish

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:46 PM

I don't know as I'm little skeptical. Do you guys think its a valuable OS to learn? Does it get me anywhere?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:29 AM

It depends.  If you are a Windows Systems Administrator or want to be, then yes.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:20 AM

I'd recommend going for Server 2016 over Server 2012.  Unless you have a need to learn Server 2012.  Server 2012 end of life is currently January 2018.  Learning Server 2012 will still provide you with a good idea of how Server 2016 works.  My last Windows Server certification was 2000 and things haven't changed drastically in the past 15 years.  What I learned for NT Server still applies to Server 2012.

#4 VincePolston

VincePolston

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:37 PM

It really depends on what your goals are. If you are looking into a system administrator job than I'd go for it. Learn the basics of server 2012 and a lot of it will carry over to 2016. BC Advisor is right that a lot of the basic functionality has not drastically changed over the years. Shoot. I still run into server 2003 system and now and again (and strongly suggest replacing). Knowing the ins and outs will only help you.

Alternatively you could go the Linux route and learn about different Linux server distros.

#5 sweedishfish

sweedishfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:55 PM

Thanks everyone.

Hey VincePolston, do you think Sys Admin is in demand nowadays? I know it all depends where you are, your company, experience etc. but how much do you think they make on average?

And Linux? Do you think it'd get me a job?

#6 VincePolston

VincePolston

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:32 PM

Hey there sweedishfish

Definitely still in demand. Take a look at job boards on LinkedIn and Glassdoor. You are right, it varies according to your experience, company, and location but you could make anywhere between 51k - 93k per year as a system administrator.

The reason I mentioned learning Linux is because that is more niche'd down which generally means you can charge more, in my opinion. :)

Edited by VincePolston, 03 July 2016 - 07:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users