Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop PC having issues connecting while other devices work

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 iceking77

iceking77

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:28 PM

I recently moved into a new house and had a new cisco modem installed by my provider which has a built in router, and because of the house's size needed to also get a wifi extender (Netgear AC1200 WiFi Range Extender EX6200). This setup works perfectly for all my devices except for my desktop PC, which recognizes the network and the extended network with full bars but when it connects cannot access internet and says "no internet, secured". I've tried messing with the modem/router settings but nothing has helped. Do I need to get an ethernet cord and update my pc's network card? Need help figuring this out, thanks.

Specs:
Intel i7-2600 CPU
12gb G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
2TB WD HD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:58 PM

How is the desktop connecting? Wifi or wired? If wired, wired to what? If wireless, what wireless NIC or adapter are you using to make the desktop wireless?  Off the cusp, a compatibility issue with the wireless handshake between a older wifi adapter connected to the desktop and the newer Netgear repeater.

#3 iceking77

iceking77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:58 PM

How is the desktop connecting? Wifi or wired? If wired, wired to what? If wireless, what wireless NIC or adapter are you using to make the desktop wireless?  Off the cusp, a compatibility issue with the wireless handshake between a older wifi adapter connected to the desktop and the newer Netgear repeater.

It will not connect wirelessly to the networks but will go online with an ethernet cable except at a slower speed than other devices. Using this cable I found that my adapter (linksys wmp600n wireless-N PCI adapter) is fully updated, so I'm not sure what else to try. Thanks.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

Wired to what? To the repeater or the ISP gateway? I think it would help if you describe how each item is physically connected to each other and what settings you used for the router and repeater. Are the repeater and router on the same channel?

#5 iceking77

iceking77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:39 AM

Wired to what? To the repeater or the ISP gateway? I think it would help if you describe how each item is physically connected to each other and what settings you used for the router and repeater. Are the repeater and router on the same channel?

It's wired through an ethernet cable to the repeater. The modem has a router within it, so it's setup independent of everything else. The extender is wired to the desktop with an ethernet cable and provides extended wifi networks. What do you mean by the same channel? Which setting is that?

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:28 AM

The purpose of a extender is to repeat the wireless signal of your ISP router. If the extender and router are on the same wifi channel, they will conflict. How do you have the two wireless networks configured?

#7 iceking77

iceking77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:38 AM

The purpose of a extender is to repeat the wireless signal of your ISP router. If the extender and router are on the same wifi channel, they will conflict. How do you have the two wireless networks configured?

What do you mean specifically by configured? If they were conflicting wouldn't other devices have issues?

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:43 AM

Nevermind. Maybe someone else can help. I don't know how else to simplify it. 

Edited by Trikein, 03 July 2016 - 11:46 AM.

#9 iceking77

iceking77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:51 AM

Nevermind. Maybe someone else can help. I don't know how else to simplify it.

Ok, it's just there's a lot of different configurations for the network so it's not clear what you mean. Thanks anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users