Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My webcam has "gone missing"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:52 PM

I'll preface this with, "This is not a crisis."  I virtually never use the webcam and haven't done so in months, hence the reason I'm only seeing this now.

I installed Skype and when the camera test part came about I got the error message that no webcam was detected and to make sure that if it is an integrated webcam that it's turned on.  I have checked my webcam permissions and I have those turned on for Skype and messages as well as YouCam.  I have restarted the system as well, just in case this was a fluke, but it isn't.

In Device Manager there are no imaging devices shown on my laptop whatsoever.  Doing a "Scan for Hardware Changes" doesn't discover it.  I've already gone to the HP support site and there's not a driver to be found for the thing.  I thought updating the YouCam software might bring a driver with it, but it did not.

I am absolutely positive that the webcam did work post upgrade to Windows 10, but it's clearly disappeared as a device sometime over the many upgrades.  I am running Win 10 Home 64-bit, build 10586.420, on an HP 15-g035wm.

I won't wither away if I can't get this working again, but I find it curious that this particular built-in device has simply vanished and any of the conventional ways I know of to bring it back aren't working.

If anyone's got any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:23 PM

Hi britechguy,

If your laptop manufacturer has a software for webcam this software will install the webcam driver.
The webcam may have stopped working due to hardware failure or a loose cable that connects it to the laptop’s motherboard.
Some Advent laptops come with webcams that can be enabled or disabled via the computer BIOS (Basic Input-Output System).
Sometimes webcam can be enable by function key. 
tips for when your webcam is not detected

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 8)

Posted Image

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,012 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:31 PM

Freebooter,

Thanks for the assistance.  I had never realized there *was* a "show hidden devices" option in Device Manager since I didn't think that it hid devices.

Once I made the hidden devices shown imaging devices show up and under that, HP webcam, and it claims that device is disconnected, which I can believe could easily happen with the micro cable and connector and repeated opening and closing of a laptop over time.

At least I now know that it recognizes that the device should be there.  If I get really ambitious someday I'll find the support manual to see what's involved in checking this.  Now that I think of it I also could have disconnected this accidentally when I did my RAM upgrade some months back.  You essentially have to rip the machine completely apart to get to the RAM slots.  I have never seen a worse, and more insanely stupid, design with regard to RAM and I've been in the computer biz since the mid-1980s.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:46 PM

You are very welcome!

Uninstall all webcam drivers open the Command Prompt and type below commands. When uninstalling the hidden webcam drivers delete the webcam driver from driver store if Windows give you option to do so. Don't forget to enable viewing hidden devices from menu bar of the Device Manager. After you have deleted all webcam left over drivers and restart your laptop hopefully Windows recognize the webcam and installs the driver for it you see those drivers you will uninstall could be corrupted.

Have you reset BIOS setting to default settings this may help to make BIOS recognize the webcam.

Set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

Devmgmt.msc

Edited by FreeBooter, 02 July 2016 - 07:47 PM.

Posted Image

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,012 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:20 PM

I just ran a BIOS update very shortly before I posted here, and I have to believe that the HP defaults were used.  The only thing I've ever reset in UEFI/BIOS is to turn smartkeys off because I use screen readers as part of my work and they use the function keys extensively, and it's a much bigger PITA to have to hit FN to get the functions in that context.

The webcam must be disconnected since, once I've uninstalled it, the system does not even recognize its existence at all.  I now have no imaging devices showing up in device manager whether or not hidden devices are being shown.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:12 PM

Well looks like you have no choice you will have to disassemble the laptop good luck.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users