Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Riskware.risktool.win32.pskill.p

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:11 PM

Hello folks,

After doing the 'deepest' scan available from A Squared this evening, it came up with the following High risk entry: Riskware.RiskTool.Win32.PsKill.p I tried to find out more info about it, no luck, really. I even searched it out in your archives, too. Must say I'm a bit puzzled. I'd like to better understand where it came from or what program or app it has to do with. I run a tight ship here, so.. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I did quarantine it. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Eagle7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:22 PM

This is part of KillWind.exe (C:\hp\bin\KillWind.exe).
KillWind is part of the Backweb program that HP installs on all Pavilion PC's.
From what I've read, it's not a desirable program.
It's labeled "riskware" because it is a potentially dangerous application, that can be used by malware to kill vital processes.
HP says it's a necessary program, but others disagree.
Here's some information I found;
(scroll down to Who_i_am's post, dated Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 5:41 pm )
what is "killwind" and what does it really do?

For more information, just do a Google search for KillWind.exe.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:37 PM

This is part of KillWind.exe (C:\hp\bin\KillWind.exe).
KillWind is part of the Backweb program that HP installs on all Pavilion PC's.
From what I've read, it's not a desirable program.
It's labeled "riskware" because it is a potentially dangerous application, that can be used by malware to kill vital processes.
HP says it's a necessary program, but others disagree.
Here's some information I found;
(scroll down to Who_i_am's post, dated Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 5:41 pm )
what is "killwind" and what does it really do?

For more information, just do a Google search for KillWind.exe.

Thanks, tg1911

Guess I'm not surprised to hear this is part of the HP Backdoor stuff. I've already deleted their "backweb lite" garbage, too. I just got my box back from them a few days ago after needing repair. They must've plugged this goodie in at that time. Shame, shame. I appreciate the info you provided, now I can move onto other things.

Regards, Eagle7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users