Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Knockoff ransomware?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 4747tablemesa

4747tablemesa

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:14 PM

Recently I went through my first encounter with ransomware. I never did get to the point of asking for money, after poking around online people said it could be some variation or knockoff. Programs and things were affected, those can be reinstalled, but there were some text files I was hoping to recover. I went so far as rolling back windows, rolling back the registry, using shadow explorer and other things that didn't much work. Here is one of the encrypted text files that listed meeting dates if someone who knows about these things might be able to have a look or point me in the right direction Not spam, just a text file. I removed the link, because no matter what I say I know it won't mean much, so if you are able or know a safe way I can post a .txt file, please let me know...

Edited by 4747tablemesa, 02 July 2016 - 06:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:45 PM

You may upload a sample encrypted file and ransom note to the service in my signature to identify the ransomware. If it does not identify, you may post the SHA1 it provides for me to manually check.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#3 4747tablemesa

4747tablemesa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:07 PM

The first file I tried was a .txt file:

Please reference this case SHA1: 6a99a8a5b565de953eb850fafa83b7ddfde2f8b0

Next I tried a PDF:

Please reference this case SHA1: a07ce595dff59f0a7063ffa2bd194af1d574645b

Unable to determine ransomware.

Please make sure you are uploading a ransom note and encrypted sample file from the same infection.

This can happen if this is a new ransomware, or one that cannot be currently identified automatically.

Edited by 4747tablemesa, 03 July 2016 - 04:58 PM.

#4 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:56 PM

I've taken a look at the files you submitted and cannot determine what may have encrypted them. My best guess is either AES or RSA encryption of the whole file, as I see no patterns to indicate anything, and they are definitely not valid files. There are no signatures of known ransomware in the hex code (very few ransomware do this and ID Ransomware would have picked up on it).

We can only really identify anything by either the ransom note left, or if you are able to get a sample of the malware or where you acquired it from (e.g. email attachment, bad website, downloaded file). You may scan your system using HitmanPro and MalwareBytes to try finding any of the malware left over.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#5 4747tablemesa

4747tablemesa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:09 PM

Thank you for taking a look. From what I have been able to find, this would have to come from an executable or something that executes in the browser? I am not very familiar with how I may have gotten it from the browser, I pop around though various webmaster websites reading for my Boulder work program marketing project. I remember that week I was installing chrome extensions to convert certain file types from the browser, and I was back and forth through a green hat marketing forum, legit, or seemed so at the time. I know I tested the RSS stuff. I will go back through my browser history and see what I only looked at and what I downloaded and I will update you later today or tomorrow. Thanks again for looking into this. I sent you a PM with the website, so it doesn't get the unnecessary promotion out here.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,952 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:29 PM

Please read section :step2: in this topic which explains the most common methods Crypto malware and other forms of ransomware is typically delivered and spread.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users