Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think my video card is dying...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ComputersHateHim

ComputersHateHim

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:54 PM

About 3 months ago I had to send my computer in under warranty to have its motherboard replaced. I accidently overloaded a circuit breaker and when it popped, The computer lost power. During this pop, A surge was sent through the line which fried the Mobo. Everything else seemed to be fine however, And after getting it back everything seemed to run fine. That was until this started happening. It happens at random times, and seems to happen the most when I run a game called Runescape 3 (Yeah, I recently started playing that old game again.

My card is a Geforce GTX 970. Is it possible that the surge damaged the card as well and I am only just now seeing the effects of it? Is it possible to test if somethings bad using software?

Before anyone says, When it first happened, I tested the card using Furmark. I ran furmark for 10 minutes, The card capping out at 82C. I stopped it myself at the 10 minute mark. I saw no artices as you se in this image.

Due to image hosting problems, I included it as an uploaded file.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputersHateHim

ComputersHateHim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:57 PM

As an update, I ran another Furmark test. This time for 13 minutes. Nothing happened at all, It stayed at a stable 72C. If it was the Videocard faulting up, Would it not do this when furmark started running?

Attached Files

Edited by ComputersHateHim, 02 July 2016 - 09:58 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:42 AM

Diagnostic tests are software programs that test different parts of the component.

They may test all of the component, or they may only test part of it.

And, the things that they test may not let it report accurate information

But, they are the best tests that we have.

The ultimate test is to try another, known-to-be-good video card.

But:
1)  It may take a while to reproduce the problem (so how long do you wait when trying another video card - when does no sign of a problem = the problem is fixed?)

2)  not many people have a spare video card laying around (you can offset this by finding a store that will let you return the test card if it's not needed - and be able to get your money back)

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Also, monitor your system's temperatures with this free tool:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Check the video card for:

- is it seated properly?

- does it have the proper power connections and are they firmly seated?

- is the cooler free of dirt/dust/ect?

- does the fan on the cooler spin freely?

- is the system pumping hot air into the cooler?

You can also ask for more expert advice in the Internal Hardware forums:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ComputersHateHim

ComputersHateHim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:40 AM

Diagnostic tests are software programs that test different parts of the component.

They may test all of the component, or they may only test part of it.

And, the things that they test may not let it report accurate information

But, they are the best tests that we have.

The ultimate test is to try another, known-to-be-good video card.

But:
1)  It may take a while to reproduce the problem (so how long do you wait when trying another video card - when does no sign of a problem = the problem is fixed?)

2)  not many people have a spare video card laying around (you can offset this by finding a store that will let you return the test card if it's not needed - and be able to get your money back)

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Also, monitor your system's temperatures with this free tool:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Check the video card for:

- is it seated properly?

- does it have the proper power connections and are they firmly seated?

- is the cooler free of dirt/dust/ect?

- does the fan on the cooler spin freely?

- is the system pumping hot air into the cooler?

You can also ask for more expert advice in the Internal Hardware forums:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

I removed the card, cleaned what I could from it (It was actually very clean with little to no dust. My case has air filters). I double checked to make sure it was properly seated, It was. I also checked to make sure the fans were spinning correctly, As I found on the internet that sometimes 970's fans like to just stop for no reason if there is no third party software running them. Everything seemed to be functioning okay with the fans. For the last day and a half, I have not been able to reproduce the crash. Even when booting up runescape 3 for a while. (The crashes seemed to happen most there.)

In an edit, I am starting to believe it may have had something to do with the Windows 10 update Microsoft forced out two days ago. After that update happened, That was when all the problems started happening. So far all my drivers have been completely updated to current.

Edited by ComputersHateHim, 03 July 2016 - 11:41 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:49 AM

So, let's wait and see what happens.

Post back if it happens again.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ComputersHateHim

ComputersHateHim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:23 AM

It happened again. This time the crash just kept going. I was actually able to pull up MSI afterburner. I looked at all the information and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. The temperature was 44 Celsius. I have pulled a known good card out of an older computer and have swapped them. I should have mentioned, But this 970 I have is an MSI model. I will post more information if the crash happens with the older 550 TI I just swapped it with.

*EDIT*

I have contacted MSI and the card is apparently still underwarranty for another 2 years. I am sending it in to them this monday. I managed to get an RMA approved. I will post back with anything they find.

Edited by ComputersHateHim, 09 July 2016 - 07:18 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:44 AM

That's the best way to test - with another card.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users