Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I upgrade to windows 10

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 careingemt

careingemt

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:31 PM

My desktop OS is windows 8.1 ... have heard good and bad about windows 10. Any input would be appreciated

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 02 July 2016 - 04:11 PM.
Moved from W10 Spt to W10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:19 PM

If your computer and programs are running fine, and you plan on getting a new computer after 2023 which is the final support date of 8.1, forget Windows 10 unless you create a complete disk image using something like Macrium Free so you would be able to revert without any issues. 

Microsoft will let you revert after 30 days but people have reported that reverting can lead to additional problems.

#3 careingemt

careingemt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:38 PM

If your computer and programs are running fine, and you plan on getting a new computer after 2023 which is the final support date of 8.1, forget Windows 10 unless you create a complete disk image using something like Macrium Free so you would be able to revert without any issues. 

Microsoft will let you revert after 30 days but people have reported that reverting can lead to additional problems.

My programs are running fine... Windows 10 upgrade will expire July 29 i belive. Are you saying not to upgrade? 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:41 PM

I would not recommend it if you plan on getting a new computer after 2023. If you really want to upgrade make sure you create a complete disk image to an external drive using a program like Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper. This would let you restore your Windows 8.1 if you decide you do not like Windows 10. 

#5 careingemt

careingemt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:57 PM

I have no Idea if i will get a new computer in 2023. I upgraded my Laptop and am happy with Win 10. Can i ask why you would not recommend (i guess I'm asking for a reason. I'm asking cause ive heard good and bad?

Thanks  

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:04 PM

There have been a lot of successful upgrades but there have also been a lot of issues with the upgrade, mostly with internet connectivity and wireless. If the upgrade goes well then you have nothing to worry about but I recommend you at least create the disk image.

If you do not know if you will be upgrading to a new computer by 2023 then by all means try the upgrade. End of extended support for Windows 10 is 2025.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

#7 careingemt

careingemt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:14 PM

issue's with the update ... Was this why you would not recomend? 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:18 PM

Only that some people have had issues with the upgrade as I previously mentioned. You can look through the Windows 10 support site for other common issues by looking at threads with the highest views. For instance one wireless thread has over 270000 views, mostly related to older Dell wireless adapters. Most of the complaints are for people upgrading from 7. 

#9 careingemt

careingemt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:27 PM

thanks for input

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:40 PM

Check out below link.

Is Upgrading to Windows 10 really worth it?

Posted Image

#11 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:39 PM

There's nothing wrong with Windows 8.1 other than the user interface.  2023 is 7 years away and in all likelyhood, you'll need a new computer before then.  If you upgrade, you're fixing something that's not broken and giving Murphy a chance to jump on you.  If there's something in 10 that you believe you want, you could try it, but I don't see any advantage to it myself.  Edge and Cortana are new, but neither has any appeal to me, YMMV.  If you don't like the user interface in Windows 8.1, you can always install the free Classic Shell and make it look and feel like anything from XP to Windows 7.  In other words "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!  

I've been running the insider versions since 10/1/2014, and while I don't see anything wrong with it, I don't see the need to go to it either.  MS said they'd have a billion devices on 10 by now, but they have less than a third of that at this time.  I believe there's a message there.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#12 aayanpk

aayanpk

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:50 AM

i recommend upgrading it because is august 21 some new and cool features are coming and after that it will not be free you will have to buy it and windows 10 upgrades  your graphic drivers too and windows 10 is the best windows os out yet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users