Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU temperature high, but fan seems to be working

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:09 PM

I'm using a NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT card and I noticed the last few days that my computer would become laggy after some time.  I narrowed it down and found it was the GPU temp.  It reached over 90C and then one time it shut off (screen went blank).

Now I put a little separate fan right in rear of the computer to try and keep the graphics card cool.  It stays at around 70-75C now with my manual fan on.  If I turn it off, the GPU temp starts to climb again.  Fan speed indicates that its running at 75% speed.  I did a visual test too and see the fan spinning.  

So I'm not sure why the GPU temp going over and overheating even though the fan seems to be working?  Anyone have any suggestions what I can do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:12 PM

GPU cooler full of dust? If yes, then clean with pressurized air.

#3 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:42 PM

Hmm.....I couldn't see any dust build up but I will give it a blow with air can ....

Does the cooler open up or is it just exterior?  I don't see any dust build up or clogged areas....if it opens up maybe there's dust inside?

Edited by cornflakes2, 02 July 2016 - 03:52 PM.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:02 PM

Hmm.....I couldn't see any dust build up but I will give it a blow with air can ....

Does the cooler open up or is it just exterior?  I don't see any dust build up or clogged areas....if it opens up maybe there's dust inside?

What kind of cooler? Can you take picture perhaps?

#5 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:14 PM

is the cooler that silver/metallic part with ridges?  I put the can of air between the vents/ridges and spray air but the temp still goes up without my manual fan. 

I can try to take a pic while my computer is on

Oh it's sandwiched between the audio card ....hard to get a clear shot of the graphics card

let me see if i can find a pic

Edited by cornflakes2, 02 July 2016 - 04:17 PM.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:18 PM

is the cooler that silver/metallic part with ridges?  I put the can of air between the vents/ridges and spray air but the temp still goes up without my manual fan. 

I can try to take a pic while my computer is on

Sounds like you already cleaned cooler then. Sounds like something is wrong with cooler, probably poor contact between cooler and GPU core.

Machine specs? Replacement card could be very cheap.

#7 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:30 PM

i'll take it out later just to double check......

it's amd phenom II x6 1070T, biostar a880gu3 mobo, 8 gb ddr3, ....i dont know, it sounds like it has to be what you said...something about

the cooler and gpu not in good contact?  I see the fan spinning so i'm baffled why its overheating without my manual fan.  

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:37 PM

If cooler is not properly contacting core, fan's don't help much. You have decent machine so GPU upgrade would not be bad idea.

Check if cooler is "loose". If yes, then I recommend new card.

Edited by hamluis, 05 July 2016 - 09:27 AM.

#9 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:17 PM

thanks for the suggestions.  I will take a look at that and update tomorrow

#10 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:42 PM

I recommend to upgrade your graphic card. Also 9400GT is old card which does not have much quality in it. GPU temperature...Have your gpu have fan in it? If yes does it give hot air? Where is the pc located? If your pc is in hot room then it affect the fan to give hot air which does not cool your gpu. Check whether the fan give air inside the gpu or outside. Sometimes the gpu fan does not give air to graphic processor.
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#11 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:52 PM

Thanks Liam, yes.  I should upgrade the card.  This was actually a refurbished graphics card I bought 1.5 years ago to replace my original card that died.  At that time, I wasn't looking to get a totally brand new expensive one, so I just got a fill-in.  

As far as I can tell or understand, yes there is a fan on it.  My computer is located on floor, same place it has always been without issues.  My room has gotten warmer since summer weather started but it was never a problem before.....  I will look into maybe just upgrading the card....I don't do any heavy gaming or things like that so I just needed a basic card that could  support dual screens and some basic photo and video editing.   

#12 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:56 AM

You are welcome. If you don't have issue before then probably your gpu is dying over. Within 1.5 years do you clean your pc? Dust particles will make your gpu preventive from fresh air. How long do you run your pc? Do you about overclocking gpu? If yes do you that? How do you know that your gpu is overheated? Download Msi afterburner which will give correct information and decrease your gpu temperature then download gpu-z look your gpu condition.

Edited by hamluis, 05 July 2016 - 09:26 AM.

To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#13 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:40 AM

I took out the card again today and took a couple pictures.  Definitely no issue with dust as there was none.  I opened up the cover

and I'm not sure but maybe it has something to do with the thermal paste?  It looks like there's none left?  I'm not sure if it's supposed to be completely covered in the thermal paste.  When I touched it, it was a little moist (the paste).

Here are some pics:

oh and the GPU temp was over 90C but by the time I took the pic, it went down to 88.  

I've been running the computer now for about 10 minutes now and it seems to be holding steady

at 77C with the fan running at 75%.  Maybe re-seating the heat sink solved the issue?  The temp doesn't seem

to be going above 80....at least for now.

Attached Files

Edited by cornflakes2, 04 July 2016 - 03:47 AM.

#14 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:47 AM

Looks like too much thermal paste. Little less and problem may be solved.

#15 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:13 AM

thanks, I think it may have been the screws were loose.  I tightened them so maybe the contact is better now.  It was staying steady at 77C to 81C,

with light usage and fans at 75% but it would go up to 85C if I did more stuff, and no manual fan but I think i will just leave my manual fan on whenever I use the computer for now.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users