Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira Scanner crashes right after starting up

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 eClySe

eClySe

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:01 AM

I had Avira Free Antivirus for a year now and it was working fine until now.

Avira is still on as far as i know. Real-Time protection also works, although with slight differences. I tried doing an EICAR virus test to verify this. Instead of Avira giving me a pop-up about a detection, Avira didn't. However, I wasn't able to open the EICAR text file anymore, so I assumed that Avira was blocking it. The problem is with the scanner. Whenever I start a system scan, the scanner opens and runs for a while, although it's not scanning. I can pause the scan and resume it fine as long as the scanning process hasn't started yet. But before it actually starts scanning, the Scanner just crashes. I did this a few times with the same result. I'm not sure when this started since most of the time, I just let Avira do a regular scan and I never tried manually starting a scan.

My PC is an ASUS Model X555L running Windows 8.1, in case it's needed.

Thank you for helping.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eClySe

eClySe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:02 AM

By the way, only the Scanner crashes, Avira stills works in the background.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:48 AM

Could be you need to reinstall due to some corrupted Avira file or it could be malware.

See if you can run an Eset Online Scan first in regular mode and if that fails attempt to run in safe mode with networking.

It would be a good idea to run a scan using MBAM, too.

First...clean up the computer.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

• Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double-click mbam-setup-2.X.X.XXXX.exe to install the application (X's are the current version number).

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • Once MBAM opens, when it says Your databases are out of date, click the Fix Now button.
  • Click the Settings tab at the top, and then in the left column, select Detections and Protections, and if not already checked place a checkmark in the selection box for Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab at the top of the program window, select Threat Scan and click the Scan Now button.
  • If you receive a message that updates are available, click the Update Now button (the update will be downloaded, installed, and the scan will start).
  • When MBAM is finished scanning it will display a screen that displays any malware that it has detected.
  • Click the Remove Selected button.
  • MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so.
  • While still on the Scan tab, click the link for View detailed log, and in the window that opens click the Export button, select Text file (*.txt), and save the log to your Desktop.
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can also be viewed by clicking the History tab and then selecting Application Logs.

POST THE LOG FOR  REVIEW.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 eClySe

eClySe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:02 PM

I ran all three programs and no threats were found. As such, there was no log file given by ESET. Here is the log file from MBAM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 7/3/2016
Scan Time: 5:11 AM
Logfile: MBAM.txt
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.2.1.1043
Malware Database: v2016.07.02.05
Rootkit Database: v2016.05.27.01
License: Free
Malware Protection: Disabled
Malicious Website Protection: Disabled
Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: John

Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 334608
Time Elapsed: 21 min, 2 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Enabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:37 PM

I suggest you reinstall Avira if it is still freezing.

Uninstall instructions for Avira Antivirus installed on Windows 8.1
  1. Keyboard shortcut Windows Logo+F → Control Panel → Programs and Features.
  2. Click with the right mouse button on “Avira Antivirus” and select with the left mouse button Uninstall.
  3. Confirm the following product uninstall notification with Yes.
  4. Confirm the activation of the Windows Firewall with Yes.
  5. The Avira Setup will take some minutes to uninstall the product.
  6. Confirm the notification to restart your system with Yes.
  7. After the reboot of your PC the Avira product is completely removed.
  8. If the conventional removal is not feasible, please read the following article: Instructions for manual uninstallation.

Avira 2016 - Download free antivirus for PC & Mac

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 eClySe

eClySe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:53 AM

I tried reinstalling Avira but the problem still persists. Is this a problem on my PC?

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:37 AM

I have seen cases where a scanner would stop scanning while scanning a particular file. Is that what is happening....scanner stops on the same file each time?

If so, can you identify which file it is?

#8 eClySe

eClySe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:00 AM

Unfortunately, it crashes before it can scan anything. No scanned files. No last object scanned. The status says "The program will be initialized."

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:23 AM

I suspect Avira did not completely uninstall. Try using this: 

1. If the conventional removal is not feasible, please read the following article: Instructions for manual uninstallation.

#10 eClySe

eClySe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:05 AM

I finished manually uninstalling it, then reinstalled it. However, the Scanner still crashes.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:50 AM

I still don't think it is malware causing the problem but better to take another look by having the pros in the Malware Removal Forum to have a look.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

DO NOT bump your new topic. Wait for a response from one of the Team Members.

#12 eClySe

eClySe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:42 AM

Here is the link for the new topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618958/avira-scanner-crashes-without-scanning-anything/

Thanks for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users