Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to start

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bazzamer

Bazzamer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:03 AM

Hi All, Sorry if i have posted this to the wrong place, as this is my first post. A friend has tried to update from 7 to 10, they said it was working but i doubt this, they have certainly messed it up as i think it may have had a virus and things may have been deleted everywhere.
The machine will not start, it hangs at start with the logo PB and hit F2 to enter setupup, i think the bios maybe corrupted, the keyboard does not work, well certain letters do but not F2, so i used a usb one, hit F2 and it just says please wait (forever). I have taken drive out and can read it on another laptop, but it looks like some of the startup files are maybe missing. I have tried a fresh copy of bios and holding escape and function, it starts to access the usb stick, but then i get a click and it all goes dead. When first turning on screen comes up and fan runs, which i have cleared out a ton of dust etc, maybe it has overheated. Personally i think the bios chip has had it.
The machine is a PBell Easynote LJ65 with a 350gb drive and 4gb ram intel pro T4400.
I am no expert, she did take it back to Currys, who charged her £50 to have a look at it, they told her it needed parts and they were no longer available, and gave her the money back. If anyone has any ideas of getting into bios please let me know, or what files should be on HDD or any advise would be very helpful. I did try unsoldering the bios battery but it made no difference, its so frustrating as it seems something simple to solve, but would love to help if i can, it seems that a lot of other people are having the same problem, hope that someone can give me an answer, or maybe it will need a new mobo.
Many thanks for the help
Bazzamer

Edited by hamluis, 02 July 2016 - 10:58 AM.
Moved from Startups to W10 Support - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:04 PM

Make sure HDD is not failing follow the instructions at below website link to scan HDD for errors with HDD diagnostic tool. Also connect the HDD to hdd docking station  and open Command Prompt as a administrator and type Chkdsk  X:  /r command and press Enter key to repair errors on HDD replace the X: with HDD assigned drive letter. If the laptop BIOS corrupted laptop will not power on even if laptop power on laptop will emits beep codes. Try to enter BIOS setup utility while HDD is disconnected.

Hard Drive Diagnostics

http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

Posted Image

#3 Bazzamer

Bazzamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:51 AM

Hi, Many thanks for the help it is really appreciated. With the hard drive removed the laptop just does the same, it will go to the PB screen with F2 for setup at the bottom, but wont go into bios. The hard drive came up with an error in chkdsk, it stated stage 4 error disc read error c0000483 with file name . (Just a dot) error (6c7466736368662e af0).
I tested the HDD with manufactures software and it passed all tests, but the test where it writes zeros i did not want to do just yet, as i did not want to erase information on the drive. As i cant get into bios it seems that the problem must be poss on mother board with a problem with a chip, i dont know if you have any other ideas but i really do thank you for the help.
Many thanks
Bazzamer

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:26 PM

Run the Chkdsk again if again there is errors i would use Hard Drive Diagnostics Tool to do a Extended Test it could be named Long Test this will repair surface errors and report the health of the HDD. 

Packard Bell EasyNote LJ65 Service Manual: Bios Recovery By Crisis Disk

Edited by FreeBooter, 04 July 2016 - 01:39 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Bazzamer

Bazzamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:20 AM

Hi, Seems the HDD comes back as saying too many errors and just crashes. Would i be able to copy the manufactures recovery to another driver and then reformat the present one then put it back, or do i have to copy the whole drive as is to another drive. The recovery is listed but no file apears so i guess it's hidden.
I have got the wincris file but i cant seem to find the KAYF0x64.fd did a search in xp but nothing found, maybe will have to search the net. When i am putting the KAYFO bios file in laptop bios, do i need the hard drive putting back aswell before installing.
Many Thanks
Bazzamer

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:11 AM

You can clone the failing HDD by cloning the failing HDD to a another same or bigger size HDD will make exact copy of the HDD but this does not mean any data on bad sectors can be save by cloning.

How To Backup and Resurrect a Dead or Dying System Disk With Clonezilla

http://www.howtogeek.com/57442/how-to-backup-and-resurrect-a-dead-or-dying-system-disk-with-clonezilla/

Posted Image

#7 Jazzgirl

Jazzgirl

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:49 PM

Hi All, Sorry if i have posted this to the wrong place, as this is my first post. A friend has tried to update from 7 to 10, they said it was working but i doubt this, they have certainly messed it up as i think it may have had a virus and things may have been deleted everywhere.
The machine will not start, it hangs at start with the logo PB and hit F2 to enter setupup, i think the bios maybe corrupted, the keyboard does not work, well certain letters do but not F2, so i used a usb one, hit F2 and it just says please wait (forever). I have taken drive out and can read it on another laptop, but it looks like some of the startup files are maybe missing. I have tried a fresh copy of bios and holding escape and function, it starts to access the usb stick, but then i get a click and it all goes dead. When first turning on screen comes up and fan runs, which i have cleared out a ton of dust etc, maybe it has overheated. Personally i think the bios chip has had it.
The machine is a PBell Easynote LJ65 with a 350gb drive and 4gb ram intel pro T4400.
I am no expert, she did take it back to Currys, who charged her £50 to have a look at it, they told her it needed parts and they were no longer available, and gave her the money back. If anyone has any ideas of getting into bios please let me know, or what files should be on HDD or any advise would be very helpful. I did try unsoldering the bios battery but it made no difference, its so frustrating as it seems something simple to solve, but would love to help if i can, it seems that a lot of other people are having the same problem, hope that someone can give me an answer, or maybe it will need a new mobo.
Many thanks for the help
Bazzamer

Definitely look out for failing hard drives. PB's were notorious for that. I bought one about 20 years ago. The drive failed after 4 months. It took another 4 months to get a replacement. It totally died not long after that. Shortly after the final death PB was no longer allowed to sell in the US they were so bad and had so many complaints. I've seen several posts on different boards and the hard drive issue hasn't gotten better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users