Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Silence72

Silence72

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:31 AM

My question is do I have a virus or a windows 10 problem?

I keep receiving the following message/error while trying to open up certain programs like:

Malwarebytes:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Malewarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"

and

Task Manager:

"C:\WINDOWS\system 32\WF.msc

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"

and

Run CMD as administrator

"C:\WINDOWS\system 32\cmd.exe

I have windows 10 (upgraded from 7)and use Avast Free as my antivirus. I got a message today that Avast blocked a virus(or something harmful), so I ran a scan with Avast and it came back clean. Then I decided to run Malwarebytes, and this is when I started to notice these issues. I haven't ran Malwarebyte in a month or two so the problem could of been there before. I tried to uninstall the program but I get the same error. I went to Malwarebytes website and downloaded the mbam-clean 2.2.2.7.exe. I followed their instructions to uninstall Malwarebyte but I receive the same error "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion". On microsoft support website I followed the instructions to use the system file checker tool. I can use the command prompt normally, but if I try to run as administrator (which it recommends) I get the same error.

Hopefully you can help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Silence72

Silence72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

I fixed it. It was a windows 10 problem. I found a post the Microsoft support form that said to restart with "Enable debugging mode". Everything is a lot faster and works now. The Malwarebytes scan came back clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users