Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC will not send video signal to any monitor I have.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PC_Novice

PC_Novice

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:58 PM

Its a bit of a long story. I have a Dell PC that I purchased last year. I recently purchased a gtx 1070 and it would not fit in my Dell midsize tower, so I bought a new case (thermaltake h22 plus), a new PSU (thermaltake 600w), and then I moved my motherboard (Dell H81 mini-ATX) to my new case. Mobo is installed properly, I got stuck for a bit connecting the front panel power buttons and led lights to the really badly designed LEDH1 connectors (completely unlabeled), but after a little trial and error, the system powers on and the LED lights are working properly. 

This is where I get stuck. Even though the system has power, I cannot get a video signal on anything I've tried. I have two working monitors, an Acer 25'' IPS 1440p and a old dell 4:3 LED monitor. I tried the HDMI and VGA slot for the mobo's onboard video, no signal on either monitor. I switched in my GTX 750 ti that worked flawlessly with my Acer monitor and the H81 mobo in my original setup. No signal from HDMI or DVI-D which worked previously. I switched in the GTX 1070. No signal from the HDMI or DVI-D cable. The fans are working on both cards and the LED lights are showing power to the GTX 1070, so I dont get what's going on. The mobo isn't making any funny sounds, it is booting up without failure and the fans are silent and cool. I can't imagine I installed anything improperly. 

My computer is running Windows 10 (free upgrade edition), my primary drive is a crucial SSD, with a backup HDD that came with the system). 16GB of ram. All the components are the same that worked perfectly before I switched the mobo over.

Any ideas? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:11 AM

Did you hook up the extra 8-pin power to the gtx1070?

With the pcie video card removed are you getting any signals from the on-board video?

#3 PC_Novice

PC_Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:22 AM

I was not getting any video signal from my gtx 1070, my old 750 ti or the onboard video. I took it to my local PC store and they said the likely culprits are either the RAM or the mobo, and they are going to give it a look. Replacing the RAM is one thing, but mobos are expensive and I'm completely broke.

Just frustrating since the mobo and ram are the exact same I used for more than a year without any problems. I made sure to be extra careful when moving over the mobo to my new case and used the anti-static wrist strap at all times.  So I don't get how they could suddenly fail (still haven't heard back from the store so I don't know the true culprit yet).

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:52 PM

Mounting a motherboard a lot of things can go wrong very quickly. You never want to trial and error wire hookups. You could be applying voltage to something that you shouldn't creating a dead short and that will surely lead to burning something out. Even mounting the motherboard wrong can cause a short. A slip of a screw driver etc. I have been a computer tech for years and have seen a lot of wacky things happen. I have caused things like this to happen as well. A simple human mistake that turned catastrophic. I once had a network cable accidentally slip out of my hand and the contacts of that nic cable slid down the back side of a computer metal casing causing a lot of sparks. It instantly wiped out the pc's motherboard as well as the router and switches. That was a very BAD day.

#5 Tiempo

Tiempo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:58 PM

Hello PC Novice, 

The computer store may be right. It's the RAM or MOBO but a PSU may also cause this kind of problem.

• Please try to borrow another PSU that meets your MOBO's wattage requirement. Replace your current PSU, if still no signal, we can say it's not a PSU issue.
  • Remove and clean your RAM (rub the gold contacts) with a rubber eraser. Re-place your RAM, if nothing happens do it 3 times. The problem still persist?
  • Please get your MB's manual to locate your CMOS jumper, it's a 3-pin jumper. Before opening your case shutdown your PC and unplug it from the outlet. Please do this with caution to avoid electrostatic discharge. I presumed that the computer case is now open, the jumper covers the first (1&2)two-pins move/transfer it to 2&3 pins and press your PC's power button about 15 seconds. This is to drain the remaining power in capacitors. Then move the jumper again to its default location (1&2 pins). Plug your computer again and power it ON.

I hope that you can get your PC working again, if none of the above works, sorry to say, it's 90% MOBO issue.

#6 PC_Novice

PC_Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:32 PM

They diagnosed it as a dead mobo. Well,  I took it home, put all the parts back in the original case, reset the BIOS jumper pins, and lo and behold, everything is back to normal. Isn't resetting the BIOS a common troubleshooting step? WTF microcenter!? At least they didn't charge me.

I ended taking back the gtx 1070 and it now appears that gigabyte is going to make a mini GTX 1070, which is what I wanted from the beginning! It will fit in my old Dell case perfectly and the 600w thermaltake PSU will go with it. Now just gotta have the patience to wait for it to show up in store or on amazon.

#7 PC_Novice

PC_Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:38 PM

I have one remaining issue. When I took apart the dell to move it to the new case, I removed the WLAN minicard antennae. I just put them back in the case where they were originally to the best of my recollection, but I'm getting really weak WiFi signals now. I run a speedtest and get 1/10th to 1/5th of my usual internet speed, and its very laggy. Was just playing a match of DOTA 2 and I was warping all over the place, sometimes having < 50 ms ping, then jumping to 750ms. Made it pretty impossible to play. Sorry teammates!

Anyhow, here is a picture of how I have the antennae set up in the front of my case.

http://imgur.com/a/Lmg9F

They might have been slightly damaged removing it from the case as I didn't see the clips on the back could slide out of the chassis until it was too late. But they still look good aside from (very) slightly bent metal on the front, as you can see.

#8 Tiempo

Tiempo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:45 PM

Hello PC Novice,

Indeed, resetting the the BIOS is one of the basics in computer troubleshooting and also the most overlook one. Anyway, am glad that your computer is now working fine.

With regard to your antennae problem, it may have been slightly damage as what I can see in the image you provided. The bent metal, somehow affect the wirings in the antennae. Try to borrow another antennae from your friends and observe if it has a good internet connection.

For better help on your antennae issue, I would suggest to start a new topic about it here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617915/connection-issues/.

Edited by Tiempo, 05 July 2016 - 09:52 AM.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:43 AM

They diagnosed it as a dead mobo. Well,  I took it home, put all the parts back in the original case, reset the BIOS jumper pins, and lo and behold, everything is back to normal. Isn't resetting the BIOS a common troubleshooting step? WTF microcenter!? At least they didn't charge me.

I ended taking back the gtx 1070 and it now appears that gigabyte is going to make a mini GTX 1070, which is what I wanted from the beginning! It will fit in my old Dell case perfectly and the 600w thermaltake PSU will go with it. Now just gotta have the patience to wait for it to show up in store or on amazon.

That was the next thing I was going mention to check the bios battery voltage and reset the bios. I noticed on the motherboard there appears to be a battery pack with a connector. In the future that might be difficult to find should it need replacement. However, they typically are larger shrink wrapped battery packs with double coin batteries soldered together in parallel to extend the life. You should boot into the bios and check the voltage of the battery still to be sure it's 3 volts and above. Anyways glad you figured it out.

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:24 PM

If you are having wi-fi problems and suspect a damaged antenna setup you should try a wifi USB dongle if you can't repair the antenna. There is a wide range of them available, they are reasonably cheap and they generally do a good job. My desktop has one as a permanent fitting since I do not have an internal wifi card and I also use one with an elderly laptop whose internal wifi sometimes works and usually doesn't !

Netgear and Sitecom are only two of several makers and I only mention them because I have examples of both.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users