Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI M7 D0 Initialization Code

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 b0utmycheeze

b0utmycheeze

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:39 PM

Good evening everyone.

Here is my build. I am a first time builder. Note I am pretty tech savy but when it comes to motherboards, I'm not very experienced. I assembled everything earlier today and have tried reseating the ram, clearing CMOS, reinstalling the GPU, checking all cables, etc.

MSI M7 MOBO
16GB DDR4 GSkills
intel core i5 6600k
1TB WD Blue Cavier HDB
250GB Samsung EVo SSD
Hyper 212 EVO

When booting up the CPU I get the 'D0' code. I have no video output, no beeps, I've tried plugging the cpu into my television and am not receiving any type of signal. When removing the GPU I noticed the clip that secures the GPU was missing. I'm not sure if it broke off when I removed it or if it was like this originally. I've done some reading and some have had to RMA these boards due to similar issues.

I have not checked the CPU/socket for any damage but I was very gentle with it so I don't think this is an issue.

This is very discouraging as this is my first build and everyone knows how expensive these components can be :-/. 

Thank you for any and all help. If you need any additional information please let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:57 PM

We could go into several pages of suggestions, but here is what I do in a build, and it works for me:

http://www.suggest-a-fix.com/index.php?/topic/206-home-building-and-testing-techniques/

no video output, no beeps,

It sounds like the signal from the Power Supply is not reaching the BIOS since you are not getting the POST screen. That is a low-level mechanical failure. There is a secondary possibility that it may be the video card. Unfortunately, that board does not have integrated video so there is no alternative for testing except to have a temporary swap card. However, if there is a sound signal keyboard recognition beep from the system beeper that normally executes on boot (assuming that it has one) we are back to the mechanical failure.

Low-level mechanical failure can be caused only by one of four things: bad power supply, corrupted CMOS settings, failed CPU or failed Mainboard. The above referenced bench-building technique will help you to discover which one. As an added thought, I have only seen bad RAM cause this type of failure once, but that can easily be tested by removing all sticks and then inserting one only in the #1 slot.

Edited by ranchhand_, 01 July 2016 - 10:58 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 b0utmycheeze

b0utmycheeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:23 AM

Thank you for the information, Ranchhand_. I have removeod the MOBO and plugged in just the 24 and 8 pin connectors. Unfortunately, I do not have a PSU tester. With just the heatsink, cpu, and one stick of RAM in, I got the same code. 

I am going to attempt now to remove the heatsink and inspect the CPU for damage. If I do not see any damage, I will most likely RMA  the board. In the meantime, I will purchase a PSU tester and test that to ensure it is not the culprit. 

I will be sure to report my findings back here as to support others who may have the same issue in the future. Thank you so much for your response. I hope you have a good day.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:15 AM

Here is the tester that I have been using for years. It just saved my bacon yesterday; someone brought an old HP unit to me, it would not respond to the power button, just sat there.  I plugged in the tester and it registered crazy, fluctuating voltages on two of the rails. Must have been a direct short somewhere. I pulled it out and put in an old 20-pin PS I had pulled out of some machine long ago, the unit started up and runs fine. I am presently "cleaning it up" of adware, viruses, junkware and useless programs, I will donate it to a family in the community who can't afford a computer.

Be careful removing the CPU; some brands of thermal grease are quite thick and act like a glue. Don't just rip it out, slightly wiggle side-to-side, kind of "test it out".

Sorry for all the grandfatherly advice, I thought it might help. :cowboy:

Edited by ranchhand_, 02 July 2016 - 10:19 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 b0utmycheeze

b0utmycheeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:03 PM

Wow wish I would have seen this post earlier. I ordered this earlier https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UZHB6G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (unsure of how to enter a hyperlink shortcut). 

I appreciate the "grandfatherly" advice  :thumbup2: . Can use as much as I can get with it being my first build. Received another response on one other forum but it wasn't as detailed as yours (did everything they suggested and no results, they recommended an RMA).

And yes, I didn't realize how sticky thermal paste was! Removed the CPU, it appears there may have been one bent pin but I can't be certain. I ordered the CPU from Amazon so I'm not worried about the RMA through them. I am worried about the RMA of the motherboard via Newegg as I'm thinking they'll see the missing PCIE clip and reject it (hopefully not). I dropped off both the CPU and MOBO at the shipping office's this morning.

I will be sure to follow up with you once I have received another CPU and MOBO. I am hoping this thread will help someone else in the future.

After spending a good portion of my day yesterday on the build, I was so frustrated and was about to RMA everything, glad I didn't! I know things don't always go perfectly and I realize that once I get it working, it will be worth the frustration/hassle/wait. 

I've done some reading and apparently other's have had this same issue multiple times and it just appears that the boards are bad. 

I will follow up as well once I've tested the PSU. Thanks again ranchhand_!

*Edit-forgot to mention, I reset the CMOS again, no luck  :wink:

Edited by b0utmycheeze, 02 July 2016 - 08:05 PM.

#6 b0utmycheeze

b0utmycheeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:51 AM

So I've done quite a bit of research and read a lot on the MSI forums. If you get the '00' or 'D0' debug code on the motherboard, you should try resetting CMOS. If this does not work, try removing the RAM and trying it one stick at a time in different slots to see if you get a boot. I also suggest checking your power supply (I have done this and my PSU is good).

IF you have done the above and are still getting the same code, your motherboard is dead. NewEgg has approved my RMA and I should receive the new board tomorrow. I will post on here again if I continue to have any issues with the Mobo. Although, if it happens again, I will request a refund and order a different board.

#7 b0utmycheeze

b0utmycheeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:45 AM

Got the new motherboard and everything is working fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users