Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer boots to bios but no keyboard function

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trbogt

trbogt

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:25 PM

Hi ...Computer Hp Pavilion A1710N starts up to initial boot menu but the keyboard does not work so I cannot enter the bios....also the machine will not boot to hard drive.

I try to boot from a DVD installation disk ...but when the screen asks me to 'Press any key to boot from disk'...  I can't because the keyboard is dead.

I'm thinking it's the power supply { I hope} and not the mother board....but which one?

I replaced the cmos battery.

Unplugged the hard drive.

Tried another keyboard.

There are no fuses in the power supply.

DVD is working.

Any ideas?....thanks.*john :bubbles:

Edited by trbogt, 01 July 2016 - 04:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,082 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:49 PM

Hi,

The keyboard is USB or PS2? If USB try to use a PS2 keyboard.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 trbogt

trbogt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:28 PM

Hi,

The keyboard is USB or PS2? If USB try to use a PS2 keyboard.

Hi...thanks for your reply...yes I have tried a PS2 and USB keyboards..it will blink for a sec during boot-up but is dead there after.*john

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,515 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:54 PM

By the sound of it your motherboards south chip is fried. The south chip handles the USB, PS2, PCI, IDE etc.

Edited by technonymous, 01 July 2016 - 05:55 PM.

#5 trbogt

trbogt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:00 PM

By the sound of it your motherboards south chip is fried. The south chip handles the USB, PS2, PCI, IDE etc.

Hi....thanks for your reply...I was hoping this issue would not be the Mother board...c***....but if it is the power supply it would be a $26 dollar repair....this computer was given to me from my brother...it is hardly used and looks like new inside and out....hmmm...I already repaired his Acer computer with Windows 10 ...but this Pavilion is a freebee..but still would like to get it going for fun as a second system...

I'm using an even older Hp Small factor Pentium 4 with eight different Windows systems running on it as my main system...it's fun.

Wish I had a power supply to try just to eliminate it.

*john

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users