Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer is not showing any signs of power.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 NattWiltshaw

NattWiltshaw

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:16 PM

Good afternoon/evening, I have an issue that has appeared with my desktop computer.

Earlier this evening I built a new desk to put my desktop computer on, therefore I had to disassemble all of the cables and monitor from the computer to move it, I placed the computer on the floor. Now when I try to turn it on it shows no sign of power. All cables are plugged in correctly, i've tried a different power cable and it doesnt make a difference, I took the cmos battery out and back in again and that didnt work. 

Before then it worked perfectly fine (well I turned it on 2 weeks ago and it worked then.

The specs are: 

intel celeron j1900 4 cores 2.0ghz

intel HD graphics

4gb ddr3 (laptop sized ram)

its acer aspire xc-603

I havent got the money to take it in to a shop to be seen, therefore this is my only option, along with my fairly okay knowledge of computer hardware from computing at college. Any help would be greatful!!!

Thank you, Natt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:32 PM

Sometimes what looks like a dead computer needs to be powercycled. Pull your power cord and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Connect your power cord and press the power button.

Make sure you have power coming from your wall socket. 

#3 NattWiltshaw

NattWiltshaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:34 PM

Sometimes what looks like a dead computer needs to be powercycled. Pull your power cord and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Connect your power cord and press the power button.

Make sure you have power coming from your wall socket. 

I gave that a go, with multiple different time frames and it didn't do anything.. Hm.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:19 PM

Do you have a spare new CMOS battery? Remove all devices including your monitor, keyboard, mouse. Does it boot with the devices removed?

You probably have done this but make sure the power cord is firmly seated. 

If you have a multimeter check your PSU per this video. Remember to touch bare metal on the case before doing the tests.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:21 PM

I am not calling you an idiot but so often it is the silliest things that trip us up, all of us.

There is normally an on/off switch aat the back of the computer, on the PSU. Have you checked that this didn't accidentally get knocked to the 'Off' position when you were moving the computer around ?

Chris Cosgrove

#6 NattWiltshaw

NattWiltshaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:27 PM

Do you have a spare new CMOS battery? Remove all devices including your monitor, keyboard, mouse. Does it boot with the devices removed?

You probably have done this but make sure the power cord is firmly seated. 

If you have a multimeter check your PSU per this video. Remember to touch bare metal on the case before doing the tests.

I havent got a spare cmos battery but i'll take one from an old computer tomorrow, I did try taking the cmos battery out and reseating it just incase it needed resetting but it didnt help. I'll ask around for a multimeter and see if anyone I know has one that I can borrow. 

I have a feeling that it could be the psu, just due to the fact that the motherboard isnt getting power from what I can see as none of the fans are going, nore is my computer even flashing on then off again. 

I am not calling you an idiot but so often it is the silliest things that trip us up, all of us.

There is normally an on/off switch aat the back of the computer, on the PSU. Have you checked that this didn't accidentally get knocked to the 'Off' position when you were moving the computer around ?

Chris Cosgrove

I unplugged everything connected to the computer in case something was shorting it out through USB when it first didn't turn on. my desktop is essentially a micro desktop and the power supply doesn't have an on/off switch. I also checked to see if the power supply had accidentally changed voltage and blew and it doesn't change voltage either as 240V that would come from my UK plug socket would blow up the power supply if changed to 120v. I'm somewhat stumped as to what is wrong with it. 

#7 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:52 PM

I've had this happen and sometimes been able to get it working again by unplugging and replugging in all the connectors on the motherboard etc. Doesn't always work but it costs nothing and is easy to do.

#8 Ridernyc

Ridernyc

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:33 AM

Are you sure the power outlet is working?

Is the power outlet controlled by a light switch?

#9 NattWiltshaw

NattWiltshaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:52 AM

Hello, yes the outlet is working, my monitor turns on when plugged into it, the outlet is a standard uk 3pin outlet with a switch built into the socket. I tried it in another plug socket in a different room just incase and it still doesn't work.

#10 NattWiltshaw

NattWiltshaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:55 AM

Hello, yes the outlet is working, my monitor turns on when plugged into it, the outlet is a standard uk 3pin outlet with a switch built into the socket. I tried it in another plug socket in a different room just incase and it still doesn't work.

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:41 PM

After all that has been said so far it seems the only thing left to you is to check the PSU outputs as per JohnC's suggestion and the video he linked to. If you don't have a multimeter see if you can borrow one from a friend. If you can't, basic multimeters are very cheap, you don't need one rated for either industrial or technician's use.

it is the silliest things that trip us up, all of us.

There was a thread on BC a while back about no sound out of a computer. About 8 or 9 posts into the topic somebody asked if the mute switch was on. It was !

Chris Cosgrove

#12 Ridernyc

Ridernyc

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:09 AM

After all that has been said so far it seems the only thing left to you is to check the PSU outputs as per JohnC's suggestion and the video he linked to. If you don't have a multimeter see if you can borrow one from a friend. If you can't, basic multimeters are very cheap, you don't need one rated for either industrial or technician's use.

it is the silliest things that trip us up, all of us.

There was a thread on BC a while back about no sound out of a computer. About 8 or 9 posts into the topic somebody asked if the mute switch was on. It was !

Chris Cosgrove

It's shocking how many computers I have repaired by telling people to turn on the light switch.

I've had people bring computers back to me 2-3 times and then they suddenly realize someone is turning off a switch somewhere.

Common here in Florida where  having a switched outlet is the norm. 

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:57 AM

Is the on/off switch on the rear of the PSU in the ON position?

No LEDs or fans when you press the power button?

There is another possibility, that would be the power button is not working.  A long shot, but worth checking out.

The power button on the computer is a momentary switch, like the old door bell buttons that as long as it is depressed the bell would ring.  This button shorts two post on the motherboard which in turns initiates the start of the PSU.  You can test this by doing the following.

With the PSU chord removed from the wall receptacle remove the PSU 24 pin connector from the motherboard, there is a small lever on the side of the connector which needs to be pressed to be able to pull the connector loose.

This is only one green wire in the bundle, you need to place a wire jumper between that socket and the socket of any black wire.  

With the jumper in place plug the PSU cord back into the wall receptacle.  Normally this will power up the case fan/s.  If it doesn't, the PSU is probably dead.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 NattWiltshaw

NattWiltshaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:25 PM

Is the on/off switch on the rear of the PSU in the ON position?

No LEDs or fans when you press the power button?

There is another possibility, that would be the power button is not working.  A long shot, but worth checking out.

The power button on the computer is a momentary switch, like the old door bell buttons that as long as it is depressed the bell would ring.  This button shorts two post on the motherboard which in turns initiates the start of the PSU.  You can test this by doing the following.

With the PSU chord removed from the wall receptacle remove the PSU 24 pin connector from the motherboard, there is a small lever on the side of the connector which needs to be pressed to be able to pull the connector loose.

This is only one green wire in the bundle, you need to place a wire jumper between that socket and the socket of any black wire.  

With the jumper in place plug the PSU cord back into the wall receptacle.  Normally this will power up the case fan/s.  If it doesn't, the PSU is probably dead.

My computer doesn't have a psu switch, i haven't tried shorting the pins on the motherboard yet, would it help if i upload a picture of the inside of the computer? there are no case fans in the computer, the only airflow is the stock heatsink and the fan in the psu. Is this is a compact pc that doesn't really emit much heat they're not needed.

It would probably also help to say the computer is less than 2 years old so its not down to age or anything.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:29 PM

The on/off switch is on the back on the computer in the same location that the AC power cord plugs in.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users