Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2016 can't find a secure connection to a google-hosted account

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 McGyver_

McGyver_

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:17 PM

I installed Outlook 2016 on a Windows 10 PC.  I installed my hotmail account and it works fine.  I am trying to add my other email account which is my email address at a domain name owned by me and hosted by Google, as in: user@mydomain.com.  I get an error message: "An encrypted connection to your mail server is not available. Click Next to attempt using an unencrypted connection."

That doesn't sound safe, but I tried it.  I clicked Next and got another error: "We are having trouble connecting to your account.  Verify the settings below and make changes if necessary."  The "setting" the message is referring to is the email address.  I verified that it is typed accurately and clicked Retry.  I got the same error message, but this time everything was greyed out except the Next button.  So I clicked Next.

The next screen gave me two choices: 
"Outlook.com or Exchange ActiveSync Compatible Service - Connect to a service such as Outlook.com to access email, calendars, contacts and tasks", or  
"POP or IMAP - Connect to a POP or IMAP account"   

I tried POP or IMAP but it asks me for the incoming mail server and the outgoing mail server.  I don't know how to find those.  So I went back and clicked on "Outlook.com or Exchange Active Sync Compatible Service."  That led me to a screen that asks for the mail server.  I tried  https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox" which is the website that Google takes me to when I use google mail to access this account.  It didn't work.  I got the error message: "Log onto Exchange Active Sync mail server (EAS): The server cannot be found."  So I tried "mail.google.com" and got the same error message. 

How do I get Outlook to find an encrypted connection to a google-hosted account?
Is it safe enough to use an unencrypted connection?
If I use an unencrypted connection, should I use "Outlook.com or Exchange ActiveSync Compatible Service" or "POP" or "IMAP"?  
How do I find out the incoming mail server and outgoing mail server?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:31 PM

Sounds like you are using Google Apps for Business with a domain name you own.

There are special steps you need to follow to get Google Apps to work with Outlook. I believe there is a special Outlook connector, I believe it's called Google Apps Sync, that you'll need to download and install; there are also some configuration changes you'll need to be make in your Google Apps configuration as well.

You should check the support section of Google Apps for more information. You may also want to review this: http://www.westhillsweb.com/how-to-set-up-google-apps-email-in-outlook/

#3 McGyver_

McGyver_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:32 PM

I tried the solutions suggest at the WestHills site you suggested.  Nothing suggested there worked.  I think it is an obsolete article.
After giving up on that avenue, I received an email from Google:
"...Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account xxx@xxx.com from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards.
We strongly recommend that you use a secure app, like Gmail, to access your account. All apps made by Google meet these security standards. Using a less secure app, on the other hand, could leave your account vulnerable."

I clicked on a link in that email and it lead to: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255 .  That website says:
"Some examples of apps that do not support the latest security standards include:
The Mail app on your iPhone or iPad with iOS 6 or below
The Mail app on your Windows phone preceding the 8.1 release
Some Desktop mail clients like Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird"

The website also described how to bypass security settings.  I Think that means there is no way to use Microsoft Outlook without bypassing the security settings.  
I wonder of Microsoft has abandoned Outlook as a desktop client.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:39 PM

Outlook and Thunderbird are only insecure if you configure them wrong. Sounds more like Google only wants you accessing email in a browser.
Did you look into thr Google apps sync tool for Outlook?

#5 McGyver_

McGyver_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

I have settled for a workaround.  I set google mail to forward all incoming mail from me@mydomain to me@outlook.com. Then I set up the Outlook client to receive mail from me@outlook.com.  It works for receiving and sending.  I am worried now that maybe using Outlook client for sending and receiving any mail is somehow bypassing Google security features, making my email account vulnerable.

#6 McGyver_

McGyver_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:53 PM

No, I forgot to try the Google Apps Sync solution.  I'm trying that now.  I downloaded it and installed, but the procedure to get it running is long and confusing.  I saw something during the installation process that indicates that Google Apps Sync might not be free, but I haven't seen any clear statement about that.  Anyway, I am plowing through it now.  Thank you for the help.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users