Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hang/Lock Up mostly while playing games

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zykonix

zykonix

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:27 PM

Hello!

I'm hoping someone can point out the problem with my system. I bought the computer a couple months ago from CyberPower and had problems from the start with it locking up, so I set it aside and went back to using my gaming laptop as I didn't have the time or money to fix it. Now that I have some free time, I'd like to get it fixed so its not just sitting around collecting dust.

It seems to happen most often while playing games, but also while I'm just browsing the web or on the desktop. The screen freezes, no sound loops, fans(including the ones on my gpu) and lights stay on, no BSOD. Sometimes I'm able to play 10 minutes, other times up to an hour. If I don't load up any games, the computer seems to do okay for a while, then locks up at random, the longest its stayed on is about 12 hours. There are times when it locks up in a game, after I do a hard reboot it will lock up again right away at the user login.

I've reinstalled windows a couple times, done a clean install of everything, updated all my drivers, swapped out RAM, and switched video cards. I'm left thinking it might be a faulty PSU or MOBO, or voltages are off. However, I don't want to spend any money until I get some more opinions.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/0UXzu0afb4h8MaQRNfDfr18

Power Supply: EVGA 850W Supernova 80plus GOLD

Thanks for your time.

Edited by zykonix, 01 July 2016 - 12:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:46 PM

Wait until it freezes again, then recover and generate these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Edited by usasma, 02 July 2016 - 07:48 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 zykonix

zykonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:33 PM

Thanks for the reply! My CPU temp stays in between 20-50 depending on load, and my GPU was around 70 when the computer last crashed in WoW. Here's the information as requested.

Attached Files

Edited by zykonix, 02 July 2016 - 10:56 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:35 AM

Repeating events just before each shutdown are networking and GWX related.

1)  I'd dig down into Task Scheduler and delete the tasks for GWX (NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\UpgradeTriggers\UpgradeReminderTask)

2)  I'd download fresh copies of the networking drivers (wired, wireless, and bluetooth) for your system.  Then uninstall the current software (from Control Panel...Programs and Features), then install the freshly downloaded copies.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F2) dates from 2015.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.

Only 7 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Once all of this is done, then we wait to see what happens.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 zykonix

zykonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:49 AM

Ok, thank you! I'll give all that a try and let you know how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users