Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speakers Not Working...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 whatdoesthisbuttondo

whatdoesthisbuttondo

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:25 PM

I had to reinstall my Windows XP (again), and again my speakers aren't working. I figured out the problem last time, but I've forgotten what to do, apparently.

I need to install an a3d.dll file for Creative SoundBlaster Live! Value, but I searched, and I already have some of those files.

My default sound device is SoundMAX Digital Audio, and I'm using Windows XP SP 2.

Edited by whatdoesthisbuttondo, 11 August 2006 - 09:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 02:22 PM

What has lead you to believe you need those .dll files?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:42 PM

you should try to find new drivers online, unless you have a driver disc already. Even then online might be better b/c it is newer. google "Creative SoundBlaster Live! Value XP driver" and you should get what you need. Check the dates though, some of the drivers can be older versions than an driver disc you have.

I don't recommend adding individual .dll files by hand. That is usually best left to an installer package. It can be a pain to do it manually b/c you might not have the right versions or know what directory it belongs in. An error msg about a missing .dll might indicate other files are missing too.

#4 whatdoesthisbuttondo

whatdoesthisbuttondo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

I went to the Creative Sound Blaster Live! download page, and downloaded Sound Blaster Live! - LiveDrvUni-Pack (English), but after I installed it, it discolored my computer, and the fonts were hard to read. Should I install the Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Dell Driver Install Pack 1 or 2? (It's still listed under Add[Remove Programs, but I did I search and couldn't find the older version of SBL on my computer, either.

Now, when I checked the problem, I got this message, which is almost the exact same message I got before, only then it said "a3d.dll" instead of "sfman32.dll".

11:30pm--I restored my settings from before I installed the SBL that was giving me problems.

Edited by whatdoesthisbuttondo, 12 August 2006 - 10:32 PM.

#5 whatdoesthisbuttondo

whatdoesthisbuttondo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 11:12 PM

I fixed it (again). Rather than typing the location in the box, I used the Browse option, and it worked.

Thanks to those who responded!

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 11:53 PM

Well, you found out what that button did!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users