Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Products!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Qas

Qas

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

Hello, can I ask a question or two?

I have 300.00 and would like to spend it, but on what? I want something that I can use for along time 5 years at least and not get bored.

I have a high spec computer. I don’t know,

I came to the conclustion to buy a MP3 player, but then I thought I am starting college, and should I buy a laptop? The laptop would cost 577 – 600. I get 300.00. What should I do, or should I get something else instead? Thanks!

PS can I get a good laptop for 577 – 600 that will last ?

Mod Edit: Topic: I Need A Laptop! *clueless*, ALL HELP WANTED THANK YOU! has been merged with this one.

Edited by Scarlett, 14 August 2006 - 06:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:07 PM

By 577-600, do you mean in US dollars?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:11 PM

no 300.00 GBP pounds

btw
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...duct_uid=102113
is this good?

#4 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:30 PM

that depends what your using it for. If it's for your college. then yes it's great. but if you wanna play games say like. HW2 or HL2. not this machine.

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 01:53 AM

That should be able to handle basic stuff such as music, movies, web surfing, reports. But if you want something to last long, that might only last a...year or two before it's pretty much a dinosaur. Might want to look at something with at least 512MB Ram, maybe a new Core 2 Duo processor, and a onboard video card from ATi ( They own like 70% of the mobile market, I think? ) or an onboard nVidia labtop.

I couldn't really find a good labtop for in between 577-600. But I did find this labtop which should work quite well and be able to handle Vista when it comes out ( just, you'll probably have ot turn off the 3D interface for Vista ) That one should do you well, just in a few years you might want to think about adding a bit of RAM to it to help it keep up to pace.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:31 AM

yesh thats a point, never thought of that, no play all my games on this machine, i got a high spec machine for that.

Shall i wait until vista comes out? and buy 1 with vista priinstalled?

#7 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:57 PM

hello, i need a laptop. I already have a high spec computer for my gaming needs.
I need one for college just word,excel etc. Some flash games my sister will use. those crappy demo games like chicken inavders for sister.
I know alot about computers that my knowledge is based around on. So i am a tetal n00b at laptops.

The one i came accrosss is:

http://misco.co.uk/productinformation/~Q72...tebook%20PC.htm

OR

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...duct_uid=102113

I need something that will last time. And will run vista smoothly (not sure ill upgrade the laptop)

Please alternative laptops wanted as well im in the UK

THanks a million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:07 PM

just found this SHOCKED HOW CHEAP IT IS:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw...&tabIndex=1

it is cheap right

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:51 PM

Vista runs well on my Toshiba M45 laptop after doing some performance tweaks.

Look for systems with brand name components (like Intel, nVidia, or ATI graphics) (Intel or nVidia chipsets)(well known sound, LAN, modem cards)(etc). That will ensure driver support for when Vista comes out.

Your description of your needs is a bit confusing. You want a simple laptop for right now - but will need a better one to run Vista. Which is more important to you? You can get a simple laptop for very little money if you just want it for school and simple, flash-based games. But for more advanced games and Vista - you're going to need a lot more hardware to run it.

A laptop is just like a desktop - it works the same way. The only difference is that (generally) you can't upgrade the parts - so you're stuck with what you buy.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:28 AM

For a labtop, thta looks pretty good. The Sempron should be good for basic stuff. You have 1GB in there, so even with the Radeon Xpress 200 eating a little bit of that 1GB of memory, it'll still having some breathing room. Only thing is that it doesn't have the highest battery life.

#11 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:03 AM

yeh i mihgt go for that it is cheap

#12 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:05 AM

i found this shall i get it this is cheap

i ment i might upgrade the laptop for vista. As its gonna be for a basic user i might not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users