Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Motherboard now unable to boot windows off old HDD.

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Trr1ppy

Trr1ppy

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:26 AM

Greetings

I have bought a new motherboard to support my new Gtx 970 which the oem motherboard doesn't support, additionally I bought a 2tb Seagate hardrive.
After installing all the new hardware I was unable to get any video output so I removed the Gtx 970 and got a signal through the motherboard VGA. I tried to launch windows from the old HDD and it freezes at the point the 4 RGBY dots appear on the screen and then will reboot asking me if I want to start windows normally or launch startup repair. I have no System images and want to keep the data on my HDD so startup repair doesn't seem too helpful.
I've also retried booting windows with the new HDD unplugged, swapping sata ports and only 1 stick of ram to no avail.

Here is the computer: http://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c03000665
The new Mobo: http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4150#ov

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Jack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:11 AM

Power on you Computer and keep tapping F8 key till Advanced Boot Option menu displayed select Safe Mode if Windows Boot into Safe Mode then follow instructions at youtube video clip to uninstall all drivers related to old motherboard. Windows Installation Service is responsible for the installation and uninstallation procedure. If you try to access it in Safe Mode you will get the following message: “The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. Use SafeMSI program to enable Windows Installation Service .

https://youtu.be/JZn_hSlT0zk?list=LLAJYNzHgmacBTKu5Yi4k8hQ

Posted Image

#3 Trr1ppy

Trr1ppy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:27 AM

Can access Advanced Boot Option menu, Safe mode loads in all files (presumably), screen blinks and takes me back to bios logo then to windows error recovery menu.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:40 AM

The only reason Windows will not boot because old device drivers for your old motherboard installed and Windows trying to boot your computer with these old motherboard drivers. You can remove third party drivers with Dism command i never try this myself while Windows offline but if you want you can follow my instructions at my tutorial link is below. You can also view all installed device drivers on offline Windows with DISM /Image:C:\  /Get-Drivers /all  /Format:list command.

Uninstall Offline Windows OS Drivers with Dism Command

Edited by FreeBooter, 01 July 2016 - 03:41 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Trr1ppy

Trr1ppy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:06 AM

Success :D I have a long list of drivers, any way to export the list or should I type the entries?

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:12 AM

You should check out the descriptions of each driver you want to uninstall and yes you can export the driver listed by Dism command but you can only uninstall one at time by typing each drivers name yourself. Bellow command will export the drivers listed by Dism to file named Drivers.txt which will be store at X: USB drive.

DISM /Image:C:\  /Get-Drivers /all  /Format:list  > X:\Drivers.txt

Posted Image

#7 Trr1ppy

Trr1ppy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:37 AM

I have no idea which drivers need uninstalling, do you know which ones are likely to be stopping windows from booting from the new mobo? Or do you know which drivers are crucial to windows? If so I could google each driver to see their purpose/producer? Regardless here is the text file :)

Attached Files

Edited by Trr1ppy, 01 July 2016 - 04:55 AM.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:53 AM

Uninstall graphic card driver, sound card driver, chipset driver, USB controller drivers, all drivers for all drivers for the motherboard ports if there is antivirus driver uninstall it as well uninstall third party drivers.

Posted Image

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:54 AM

Sorry give me second i will have a look at the Drivers.txt file i just notice you upload the file.

Posted Image

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:37 AM

Uninstall below drivers. I must warn you some applications may not function probably you will need to reinstall any program not working any longer.

1394.inf

af9035bda.inf

adpu320.inf

hpoa1nd.inf

igdlh.inf

oem120.inf

nulhpopr.inf

nv_lh.inf

nvraid.inf

oem10.inf

oem104.inf

oem105.inf

oem106.inf

oem107.inf

oem109.inf,

oem11.inf

oem122.inf, oem13.inf, oem131.inf, hpoa1sd.inf, hpoa1so.inf, hpoa1ss.inf, hpsamd.inf, oem142.inf, oem143.inf, oem144.inf, oem145.inf, oem146.inf, oem148.inf, oem149.inf, oem15.inf,  oem150.inf, oem152.inf, oem153.inf, oem157.inf, oem17.inf, oem172.inf, oem173.inf, oem174.inf, oem175.inf, usb.inf, usbport.inf, wiahp001.inf,oem120.inf, , oem111.inf,  oem112.inf,  oem113.inf,  oem114.info em115.inf,  oem116.inf,  oem117.inf,  oem118.inf

Posted Image

#11 Trr1ppy

Trr1ppy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:26 AM

The first two and other random driver I tried uninstalling all produce the message:

Deployment Image Serving and Management tool
Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Image Version: 6.1.7601.18489

Found 1 driver packages to remove.
Removing 1 of 1 - nvraid.inf: Error - the specified driver cannot be removed. Removing a default driver package is not supported.

Error: 50

The request is not supported.

The DISM log file can be found at X:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Edited by Trr1ppy, 01 July 2016 - 07:29 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:52 AM

I just wanted to ask if you replaced the PSU on the HP. The computer comes with a 300W PSU and installing a GTX 970 is pushing it to the limit. Nvidia recommends a 500W PSU for this card.

#13 Trr1ppy

Trr1ppy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:55 AM

Yeah I have forgot to mention that, I can give specs if it's helpful I remember of the top of my head it's a 750w psu

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:03 AM

Okay, no need for the specs. 750W is fine. It's hard to tell one's experience on the forum. I just wanted to add to make sure you are using two PCIe power plugs for this card which you no doubt have done. 

Haven't see a mug shot of Ned Kelly in awhile.  :)  

#15 Trr1ppy

Trr1ppy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:19 AM

Yeah two 6 pin plugs, the profile pic started as a joke but now I use it for everything haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users