Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible graphics card failure?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tylert7777

Tylert7777

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:15 AM

If I need to mention specific hardware models don'the hesitate to ask. Hopefully just generally describing the problem is enough because it's hard to type through the phone I'm using.

In the middle of my Internet browsing my monitor went suddenly white and the sound started glitching. I immediately suspected the graphics card but found some puzzling things during testing. During booting, I could make it past the bios startup screen but windows would simply not come up. I tried manually Rebooting multiple times with no luck. I decided to pull the card out and try my luck with the integrated Intel HD graphics (yuck!) and managed to make it to the desktop. Normally I would've said case closed there but decided to investigate further. I completely removed the graphics card's drivers and reinserted it into the mobo. This time it booted fine so I assumed the drivers had just gotten corrupted and proceeded to reinstall them. During that install however, I had a bsod. Now I was back to not being able to get into windows again. I repeated everything I had done again up to this point to be sure and it happened again. I used amd's Uninstall utility and specifically went through the hard drive and made sure there were no traces of it left.

What I've done now is removed the card and installed the drivers for the integrated Intel graphics. So I'm successfully back on my desktop puzzled as to whether it's the graphics card or something else. Could it be that the mobo has failed somehow and isn't transferring data correctly? Could it be a faulty RAM stick? Hopefully somebody's got an idea and can guide me. As I'm typing this I'm running a memory test right now with memtest86 so I'll report back the results on that if relevant. Thanks for any help someone has to offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:47 AM

Well its either the graphics card or the slot it is plugged into on the motherboard. Best way to test it would be to slap the card into another PC and see if it works fine.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:20 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

If this is a custom build please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Try this.  Reinstall the graphics card and boot into Safe Mode to see if the graphics card works.  Safe Mode uses a native Windows graphic driver.  So if it works in Safe Mode there's a pretty good chance that the problem is driver related.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users