Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Much Ram Can I Get?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Melon109

Melon109

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:39 PM

I have a '98, Dimension R series. It is very slow, with only 128MB of RAM. I heard that R series can only get a couple hunred MB of RAM? Is this true? If it is, is there any way I can get more than that? I don't know. I might be better off getting a new computer, but I can not afford it.
STUPID PIECE OF PLASTIC! ARRGGG!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

http://www.upgradememory.com/Dimension_XPS...C1867.cfm?NBP=1
Is this the one your talking about? if not try searching that website.
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:30 PM

If I remember right the R series was P-II 350 to 450 Mhz. What is yours? If it falls in that range it could possibly support 256Mb PC100 low density chips (16 chip modules). If it is the PII 233 to 333 Mhz it will probably be PC66 and you will be limited to 128Mb memory modules.
Run Everest Home 1.51 to see which speed (PC100 or PC66) memory you have. I think it will be PC100, in which case you can run 768Mb or RAM (3 memory slots).
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:54 PM

/www.crucial.com/crucial/pvtcontent/memorytype.asp?model=&memtype=CHOOSE

"Which upgrade should I choose?
Typically the easiest and most cost-effective way to improve your computer's performance is to add more memory. So, which memory is the right one for you? There are two ways you figure this out. The first is to spend some time and learn what terms like ECC, DDR, DDR2, registered, unbuffered, and parity, mean. Not a DRAM brainiac? Don't worry, there's an easier way.
You really can't make a wrong choice when you're using the Crucial Memory Advisor™ tool. Find your system in the Memory Advisor tool and make a selection — all the upgrades the Memory Advisor tool lists for your system are guaranteed to be compatible, or your money back.

The biggest decision you'll have to make using the Memory Advisor tool is figuring out how much memory you need."

Start / Dell / Dimension / Dimension XPS / Dimension XPS R Series
These 168-pin DIMM modules are compatible with your system.
Size of Upgrade Part # Specifications Price
128MB CT182478 SDRAM, PC133 • CL=2 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 133MHz • 3.3V • 16Meg x 64
US $28.99

Edited by buddy215, 11 August 2006 - 10:00 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:34 PM

As Acklan pointed out, this system is basically a PII 450 or so.
The system is 8 years old. That is a lot in computer terms!
It is not worth much.

Given that, I would not spend much money on it.
At this point you will spend more money on it than the system is worth.

Dont upgrade the memory or anything.
Depending on the system, another 128 meg might make a noticable difference. But you have to ask yourself if it is worth it!

Note well: not all memory is compatible with all systems

Check it for viruses and spyware
Clean that, if any out first.

There is also a limit to the amount of memory that 98 will actually utilize and be able to address.
See http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,646598,00.asp
256 is about the hugh end limit

Edited by Eyesee, 11 August 2006 - 09:42 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:42 PM

You can by a computer at Sam's Club for $399.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:45 PM

Dell has systems as low as $279 now
Thats cheap!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 Melon109

Melon109
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 11:20 AM

But Good ones? With two processors, with lots of RAM? With everything that a thousand dollar computer has? That would be a bargain! :thumbsup:
STUPID PIECE OF PLASTIC! ARRGGG!

#9 Dan W.

Dan W.

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 02:59 PM

I use a dual-boot with 98SE and XP PRO. because I want the new programs for XP and the older DOS programs work well in 98SE. Windows 98SE handles 512 mb's fine without any adjustments which is what I have in my computer. 256 mb's is not the highest amount 98SE can address (it addresses 511 mb's) so please research your responses before replying. Thank you. You will need to make adjustments for memory above that level. I will eventually have to increase my memory in my computer and I will just use the adjustments in the article below.

http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.php

(this article is for memory management in 98, 98SE and ME only)

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:35 PM

I use a dual-boot with 98SE and XP PRO. because I want the new programs for XP and the older DOS programs work well in 98SE. Windows 98SE handles 512 mb's fine without any adjustments which is what I have in my computer. 256 mb's is not the highest amount 98SE can address (it addresses 511 mb's) so please research your responses before replying. Thank you. You will need to make adjustments for memory above that level. I will eventually have to increase my memory in my computer and I will just use the adjustments in the article below.

http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.php

(this article is for memory management in 98, 98SE and ME only)

Who were you referring to?

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:51 PM

From this site: "The top-of-the-line R400, at $3,749, has about everything you could want. The 400-Mhz processor draws on 128 MB of RAM, a 16.8-GB hard drive, and built-in Zip drive."

I don't know how much more memory this thing can take, but that really is ancient.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users