Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can they do that?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jckson300

Jckson300

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:20 AM

I work for a company that uses Qwest/Century-link as it's internet provider. Today we were told that Sometime last week the network went down for 1.5 hours. Supposedly the provider shut us down because someone was downloading copyrighted material. We were also told that they (owners) were going to track every site visited. Is this even possible? I can see them being able to track sites by use of our Cisco network. But we use Qwest/Century-link modems that are connected direct to the phone lines and I don't see how they can track that traffic unless the provider is doing it for them. Can anyone shine some light on if any of this is possible? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 michelmau5

michelmau5

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:51 AM

Yes, If they want they can track you no matter what networking hardware you use. 

I you don't want to be tracked you should use a proxy server or VPN

#3 Jckson300

Jckson300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:18 PM

Please excuse me cause I know very little on the subject. So, even if I connect to one of the Qwest modems with my laptop, they could still track that? Just trying to figure out what I need to do so I can stream my football games...lol

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:46 PM

You were illegally downloading copyrighted football games at work, got caught, and now your asking how to get away with it in a public forum? Wow.   :crazy:

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:05 PM

Reminds me of the time back in the Hippies Time somebody was drying weed in the laundrymat, called the cops 'cause somebody else stole most of the weed while he stepped out somewhere for a moment.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Jckson300

Jckson300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:28 AM

Actually use a service similar to What MLB uses. Just trying to decide if I was going to renew or not. But, I already figured that part out. Now just curious since I was unaware of how it all worked and trying to educate myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users