Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to use ethernet ports in apartment

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 prosell

prosell

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:38 PM

I just moved into this new apartment.  It has Ethernet, cable and telephone ports on the wall in each room. In the closet there is a panel which all the wires that is shown in the pictures. How do I setup a wired network.  I'm not sure if I need to put the Ethernet ends on the cords. If so, how do I know which cord goes to which room. It's not labeled.  After that do I need a hub or switch. How do I get the ethernet ports to work so I can connect it to my tv. Thanks. 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 michelmau5

michelmau5

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:03 AM

Yes you need to make RJ45 connectors on each end of a cable, than place a switch and plug all cables in the switch and plug a cable from your modem/router in the switch and everything should be working.

To know which cable go to what port you need a cable tester like this 

Spoiler

Or just only plug in your TV in the outlet and see what light is blinking on the switch.

Edited by michelmau5, 01 July 2016 - 02:05 AM.

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:01 PM

You would want to make sure you have a router or gateway or that your ISP allows multiple IP's. Otherwise, if you connect everything through a switch, only 1 device will be able to get online at a time.

What  I don't understand is who installs ethernet without terminating it or doing anything with it? Did it used to go into something and someone just cut it out?

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:08 PM

I would suggest you talk to the landlord.  you don't want to screw up something that the landlord had planned like having someone come in and terminate the connections.  At the very least the telephone company would do that for their equipment if you order a land line.

Otherwise...if just on your own...

I would suggest you identify which is which in that cabinet.  You appear to have a larger cable which I am assuming is the telephone bundle.  Then you have the other stripped cables [I have only seen solid colors used for network cabling] which we assume is the network cabling.  The dual outlets are top network and bottom phone.

I HIGHLY suggest you get a trained person to come in and terminate and setup for connection [they won't hook up the router or phone system] with labels so you can plug the correct cable to the correct connection.

Given the setup you should not have the network cables terminated with end at the cabinet but to a patch panel.  This allows you to set what ports are connected to the router/internet and leave unused ports unconnected. You have many options. Telephone lines also can go into a patch panel allowing multiple phone numbers to each port to be assigned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users