Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues with BIOS retaining settings when attempting to install a case fan

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ChildOfYig

ChildOfYig

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:24 PM

Good afternoon, everyone! I want to start by saying that I've used the forums extensively in the past and have found quite a bit of help with problems that I was experiencing, so I want to thank you all for that. This is my first thread and post that I've ever had to list, and I hope that I'm following proper forum procedure by listing it here.

To get into the issue I'm experiencing, I recently purchased a computer from a third party and everything was working perfectly once I had it all set up. I made a mistake by disconnecting my hard drives to connect others in an attempt at seeing if anything was worth recovering from my old computer, and I feel that might be where everything began. To remove the hard drives, I had to disconnect my chassis fan that is on the side of my tower, and after trying to reconnect everything, including the original drives, the fan no longer works and whenever I try to connect or disconnect the fan, I receive an error when booting the PC that requires I correct the boot order for my hard drives in my BIOS settings and even set the date and time, as its all reset.

I apologize for my vague explanation of the error, and I am willing to get whatever information is needed and list it here in an attempt at possibly correcting this issue. I would just need to know what exactly is required in regards of hardware to try troubleshooting this problem. Thank you for all of your help and patience.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:59 PM

When it comes to BIOS resetting its settings including time and date settings its cause by CMOS battery replace this battery or make sure its connected correctly. Make sure to connect the Fan to correctly. Fans can be connected directly to the PSU, but it’s best to connect them to the motherboard instead. This way they can still get the power they need to operate but can also communicate directly with the motherboard. The motherboard will be able to control fan speed, which is useful if you want to strike a balance between case temperature and the noise generated by the fans. Your fans will end in three- or four-pin connectors. Have a look on the motherboard for jumpers labelled ‘SYS_FAN’, ‘PWR_FAN’ or ‘CHA_FAN’. There will probably be more than one at different positions on the motherboard, so use whichever is closest to the corresponding fan.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users