Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mint 18 Cinnamon/MATE-first impressions

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:57 PM

Just noticed it on the Mint homepage:

https://linuxmint.com/

:)

Gen. Barker - You haven't heard the last of this!!

Hawkeye Pierce - I wasn't listening to the first of it...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:14 PM

Linux Mint 18 is a long term support release which will be supported until 2021.  (That means security updates till 2021)

It comes with updated software and brings refinements and many new features to make your desktop even more comfortable to use

And just one of the many comments....which will get the attention of Windows Users....love mint, love the people behind it. you deserve all the good things in life. thanks for listening to your users.... always.

This could be necessary for some users....

Installing multimedia codecs offline

To download the multimedia codecs into an installable archive:

• Boot from the Linux Mint ISO on a computer which is connected to the Internet
  • Open a terminal and type         apt download mint-meta-codecs      (copy and paste the bold)
  • This creates a "mint-meta-codecs.tgz" archive

On computers which do not have an Internet access, you can decompress this archive and run ./install.sh (or alternatively "sudo dpkg -i *.deb") to install the multimedia codecs.

Also....some "freezing" may be experienced because some graphics cards dont work so well with the open source driver in Linux....

Solving freezes

Watch the VIDEOS on THIS PAGE   This shows how to use the nomodeset option....life is easy !

Edited by Condobloke, 30 June 2016 - 08:38 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:44 PM

Cinnamon version downloaded, installed, and setup (mostly) :)

Except for a few things, seems waaaaaay less buggy than Ubuntu Mate 16.04 was.

Only real sticking points (so far):

• Had to mess with WiFi a little bit, but seems OK now
  • While changing the default fonts, got a "fallback mode" crash-seems fine after restarting
  • For some reason, the splash screen doesn't show during boot/it was there when I ran the DVD though :scratchhead:

Noticed that there's an option in the main menu under "sound & video" to install media codecs (didn't get that far yet though) if anybody was wondering about that.

That's it for tonight-tired!

Will check back tomorrow (ok-later today) :thumbup2:

Edited by 66Batmobile, 30 June 2016 - 11:46 PM.

#4 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:04 PM

Well, after playing with it for most of today, I think I've got most of the stuff above taken care of:

• WiFi appears to be OK-didn't have to do anything else today.
  • No other crashes-I think that might be a glitch when changing the overall system font-had a similar thing happen with Ubuntu 14.04
  • Splash screen-for some reason it would show all the processes going on during boot-after a bunch of searching that went nowhere, tried running "update-grub" a 2nd time and that apparently did it.

Finished setting it up, but before I bother with the codecs, does anybody have any idea what would be added upon doing so?  Firefox is playing youtube videos out of the box, and at the moment I don't need more than that.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone else who gives it a try... :thumbup2:

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

Here is some info on the codecs, but just the basics.

https://mintguide.org/news/619-linux-mint-18-review-whats-new.html

Edited by pcpunk, 01 July 2016 - 06:56 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:28 PM

Here is some info on the codecs, but just the basics.

https://mintguide.org/news/619-linux-mint-18-review-whats-new.html

Good stuff, thanks pc!

Also, I almost forgot about verifying the iso-Mint has changed things since all the fun in Feb-see here:

https://linuxmint.com/verify.php

Between that, and this article from HowToGeek, I was able to make sure all was well.

http://www.howtogeek.com/246332/how-to-verify-a-downloaded-linux-iso-file-wasnt-tampered-with/

I know we covered all this a while ago, but putting it here couldn't hurt :thumbup2:

Edited by 66Batmobile, 01 July 2016 - 07:44 PM.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:36 PM

I must admit to be a tad disappointed with the number of responses to this post.

An earlier post of mine generated more responses with various people arguing whether it should continue or not.....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:23 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't noticed. I'll be downloading Cinnamon while I sleep :).

#9 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:17 AM

I must admit to be a tad disappointed with the number of responses to this post.

An earlier post of mine generated more responses with various people arguing whether it should continue or not.....

I was wondering if it was my deodorant or something... :unsure:

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:05 PM

I'm not sure why either but our linux community is not all that big, and even on Linux Specific sites things aren't always hopping.  Some will give it a whirl soon enough, but many are already busy with so many other things.  

I would jump in with you on more of this but cannot install because of the AMD problems, I'm relegated to 17.1 as far as I know.  I want to test out installing 18 to an older drive (same computer), but that will take more effort and most likely end in a waste of time.  Tried to boot using "nomodeset" but that set the "vesa" drivers in place which did not work well at all.  

What I need to know is, if the Radeon drivers will be used once it is installed, and adding nomodeset to grub permanently.

I did run it from a USB the other night and it is super nice, and ran from usb very snappy.  In fact, don't tell anyone, but I stole some files from it to use on 17.1. 

Perhaps this Topic would be better named "Your Impressions of Mint 18", or not, I'm not sure if that would matter.  This Topic Title would have been better in " cheesemakers-linux-corner", as an announcement.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/406036/cheesemakers-linux-corner/page-230  

I would be very happy to dive into this one as it seems stable enough from a 3-4 hour time I spent using it, and to learn it as fast as possible.  Perhaps someone will buy me a new pc that I can put it on lol.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:31 PM

Hi Pc

Great to see you are felling better

Can you please reply to this post?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617376/kubuntu-1404-a-lot-for-a-beginner/?p=4026590

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#12 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:00 PM

:offtopic: Nick ... or are you just sharpening the knives, lol?

@all:

I've downloaded the Cinnamon and am downloading the MATE. I have yet to decide whether I replace both the Betas with them, or to add the stables and compare. The Betas are quite stable, if that is not an oxymoron.

Bear in mind, Bats and others, that the Topic subject line is more like a News Banner, rather than inviting input. See Cheesemakers - Linux Corner, and just #1 could quite as easily have been placed there.

If you know me at all, you'll know I mean that constructively :)

Thanks for the heads up, Bats, and I'm off to play with the Sarahs.

:wizardball: Wizard

#13 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:05 PM

Perhaps this Topic would be better named "Your Impressions of Mint 18", or not, I'm not sure if that would matter.  This Topic Title would have been better in " cheesemakers-linux-corner", as an announcement.

Yeah, about 2 seconds after I submitted the first post I thought of that, then figured it was too late. 

Well, if it's possible, could one of the mods change the title to "Mint 18 Cinnamon/MATE first impressions"?

At this point, I don't know if it's worth "announcing" it in "Cheesemakers" though...

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:22 PM

My comments highlighted

Yeah, about 2 seconds after I submitted the first post I thought of that, then figured it was too late.  Not at all. You could scroll a few pages back  at Cheesemakers, and you'll see what I mean. Its author, Ray (rburkartjo) had to take a 6 month sabbatical (personal PM, can't say more) from October to April last, and after about 6 weeks I picked up the ball and ran with, joined by others since. You can note some of my Posts are dated, but still newsworthy (I hope), LOL.

Well, if it's possible, could one of the mods change the title to "Mint 18 Cinnamon/MATE first impressions"? You can do this by asking a Moderator to change the Title for you.

At this point, I don't know if it's worth "announcing" it in "Cheesemakers" though... As above

A lot of people used to and perhaps still do, regard Cheesemakers as holy ground, only for Ray to contribute but that is not the impression I gained. If you really tunnel through it (I have still only digested a little over 50%) you will see names you recognise, both contributing their own finds, or just saying "Thanks for the tip" or passing a comment. Ray's is by far the lion's share, probably in the 90+% range, I would guess.

The Topic is not for chitchat, though, and should be Linux/Unix/BSD &c-related rather than about BC matters.

I have put together a Baker's Dozen - 13 things I am changing/adding to the new Linuxes, with screenshots and videos, but it was based on the Betas, I have to check if it is still relevant to the stable releases. But if you change this Topic's name ... the two subjects are different and need not be perceived as being in competition.

You have our support in whatever you choose, Bats :thumbup2:

:wizardball: Wizard

#15 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:31 PM

@wiz

You can do this by asking a Moderator to change the Title for you.

Do I have to send a pm, or is asking in the thread sufficient?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users