Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU fan runs at full speed, but only once Windows starts.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 skyhawk214

skyhawk214

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:55 PM

This happened completely out of nowhere today, my CPU fan just got really loud. It runs fine during the POST and while Windows loads, but once it gets to the login screen, it goes to full speed and stays there.

I checked the temperature and its 22 degrees C right now. 

I'm running an AMD FX8320 8 core CPU, A Asus Crosshair V Formula Z, Windows 10 and the CPU fan is a Zalman CNPS9700. 

I have the fan setting in the BIOS set to "DC" instead of "PWM" because this cpu fan only has three pins.

What could be the problem?

Thanks guys, hope to hear back soon. 

IMPORTANT EDIT: I found something out when I took the side panel off my case. One fan on my Geforce GTX760 wasn't spinning. It would act like it was trying to turn on but wasn't. Could this be the culprit of the issue?

Perhaps I'm mis-hearing the sound. Maybe its the working GPU fan that's spinning really quickly to compensate for the non functioning fan. Does that make sense? 

YkUGLox.png

Edited by skyhawk214, 30 June 2016 - 05:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skyhawk214

skyhawk214
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:10 PM

That was it, the problem is my GPU, it was the first fan that was making so much noise. Thanks for the help everyone! Case closed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users