Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'P' key stuck after small water spillage, can't log in or use external keyboard

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Holsten

Holsten

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:51 PM

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this. My friend spilled a small amount of water on their Dell Inspiron Windows 7 laptop. They immediately turned it off and left it upside down to dry. When booting it again after a couple of days, the 'p' key is stuck and repeatedly presses, making loging on impossible. Some of the other keys don't seem to be working, when I hit caps, num, no lights are shown- so I'm pretty sure the water has shorted the keyboard out. I have an external keyboard that they can use, but need to disable the keyboard to stop the p continually being pressed and I don't know how to do that without logging in first- which I am unable to do as the p is constantly. I'm no expert, and want to avoid disconnecting the ribbon, but will do it if that's the only solution - just try to be as basic as poss for someone who has never taken apart a laptop before! :)

I have tried:

Compressed air

Removing the key and cleaning

Pressing the key and surrounding keys firmly for 10 secs

Opening Bios and looking for a way of disabling the keyboard

Any help will be very gratefully received!!

Cheers,

Hols.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:05 PM

What is the model number of the Inspiron. I would  either replace the keyboard or use an external after disconnecting the ribbon cable of the keyboard from the motherboard. I don't know of any registry key that could be edited offline to disable a laptop keyboard. 

You just need to be careful with the ribbon cable release. You do not want to break that.

Edit: One thing you can try and I am not sure it will work. When you boot up to the Windows login screen can you click on the ease of access icon that looks like a clock and select on screen keyboard to login and then disable the keyboard.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 June 2016 - 01:07 PM.

#3 Holsten

Holsten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:09 PM

Hi John,

Thanks, the model number is PP41L Inspiron 1545. I feared there wouldn't be an offline way to disable it. Would you be able to give me step by step instructions on how to do that? Thanks.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,860 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:16 PM

These links should help

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/replace-keyboard-dell-inspiron-1545-laptop/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhW9f1NpEps

New keyboards from ebay run about $10

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 June 2016 - 01:20 PM.

#5 Holsten

Holsten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:46 PM

Thanks John - will watch the vid and see if I'm up for it, otherwise suggest they take it to a repair place. I've tried the keyboard on the ease of access to no avail unfortunately.

Thanks for your help!

Holly.

Edited by Holsten, 30 June 2016 - 01:49 PM.

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:06 PM

The keyboard is not necessarily dead. I have spilled water on keys before, dried them properly, and they work even today.

#7 Holsten

Holsten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:25 PM

Hi John,

Just to let you know I did it, it was super easy and thanks loads for your help! Ordering new keyboard now.

Massive thanks guardian angel of the net.

Holly.

#8 Holsten

Holsten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:26 PM

Hi Gorbulan,

Thanks for the tip, might try reconnecting it after leaving it for a week or so to dry out, although new keyboards seem pretty cheap anyhoos.

#9 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:01 PM

Hi Gorbulan,

Thanks for the tip, might try reconnecting it after leaving it for a week or so to dry out, although new keyboards seem pretty cheap anyhoos.

True, but why waste stuff anyway? It will take a week to get the keyboard, or you can let it dry out in less time. 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,860 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

Were you able to now login with the external keyboard?

#11 Holsten

Holsten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:25 PM

John - all logged in and fully functional, it was definitely an issue with the keyboard.

Gorbulan - OK, will leave it a couple of days and give it another go.

Cheers both of you, he has a gig with it tomorrow and was very worried.

Holly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users