Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

I already ran some security software but I think I may still be infected and mor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 YamiFrankc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:43 PM

I am in WIndows 10

Last night I got infected with something.

Every so often an ad from an  invisible window would start playing, i identified that It always came from a process called 'nine'

If I opened CCleaner, it would automatically close after a few seconds.

What I did was going to the task manager, in the Startup tab and look at all the entries that seemed suspicious(there where a lot), I then tracked them to their location in disk and removed them manually. All of them remain deleted expect for "hallowell", which takes me to a folder called "fearlessness", this folder has an application called harassing inside.

Then, I ran AdwCleaner, it found some malicious software and then I used it to remove them.

After doing both of these thing both the random ads stopped and CCleaner worked again, but now I did not have internet access from any of my browsers(If i did a ping from the command line it would reach its destination). They say that they cant connect to the proxy. I believe this is caused because many of the Startup processes that I removed were called network, and they were in a folder that seemed suspicious.

Also, when I do Window Key + S to search something in my computer it doesnt give any result.

I then tried to change my proxy settings, but it everything is greyed out and it says that the settings can only be changed by the organization.

Then, I ran the Malwarebytes Anti-rootkit tool, it found some threats and removed them using the same tool.

The problem with the proxy and the search function remain.

These are some of the applications that I removed manually that were on auto startup:

C:\Program FIles(x86)papineau.exe

C:\Program FIles(x86)\consisting.exe

C:\Program FIles(x86)\cygnet\cravats.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YamiFrankc

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:20 PM

Ok, there is an update.

I ran the normal Malwarebytes software, it found many threats and then I proceeded to remove them.

the Proxy settings are back to  normal and I can access the internet from any application.

The Fearlessness folder is now gone. I think I forgot to mention that it would come back every time I deleted it.

The problem with the search function of Windows not working is still there.

I also found something weird, every time I run firefox it warns me that it is not the default browser, even if the WIndows settings show that it is set as it.

Maybe I am still infected by something?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users