Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Access To Microsoft Update Page

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 emphasis

emphasis

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:06 PM

Background: had problems, took to a repair shop - determined bad hard drive. Shop copied what they could to another 'shop' drive; installed new hard drive; then installed my authorized copy of Windows XP professional edition, version 2002 sp1; then copied back the files from the 'shop' drive.

I took puter home and began checking operation of my programs and status of data. One of the first things I wanted to do was to update all my Microsoft programs: XP Professional; XP Office, IE 6 and Outlook express.

Although I was able to load these programs I was never able to connect to your 'update' website.I also tried via Firefox that I have and was also unable. I tried same from my laptop and was able to do so.

Always get cannot load the page. did a ping a got a 12.0.01 response.

HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO NEXT

PLS ADVISE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:10 PM

I have a guess: Because you have a new drive, Microsoft may not recognize your windows as genuine even though they are, thus you aren't getting the updates. I'd suggest contacting Microsoft and telling them about repair work and the new hard drive that was installed. I hope you have receipts for all that, because they may ask for them.

It is possible, however, that something is not configured correctly. Have you checked your internet and firewall permissions?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:39 AM

HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO NEXT

I would have updated to SP2 before anything.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:01 AM

You must use Internet Explorer to access Microsoft and Windows Updates.

First of all, open IE and make sure legitimate Active X settings are allowed and the security level is set to "Default" which should be medium.
Put Windows Uodates in your "Trusted Zone".

Next - go to the Windows Update site and set it to download and install updates automatically. That should enable critical updates even if there is a problem with the "Genuine" test.

How did they install your XP op system on the new hdd?
Did they use your Windows XP Installation cd or did they image the drive?

If you continue to have problems updating:

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users