Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service Host suddenly using 25% CPU

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ireallyhateviruses

ireallyhateviruses

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:49 AM

Hi everyone,

My laptop has been acting a little funny recently and I'm wondering why.

On Monday when I booted up my laptop (Samsung using Windows 8), I suddenly had a BSOD due to an error called "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA." As soon as my computer restarted, it was fine. I did notice that there were two new notification icons in the lower right-hand area of my taskbar: the little Windows action centre flag with a red X, and AVG's icon, also with a red X.

Yesterday I noticed that my laptop had been warmer than usual and the fan's noise was more noticeable than usual. I shut down the laptop to give it time to cool down. However, when it went to shut down, the screen was black but the power light stayed on and the fan was still running. I had to press the power button to make it shut down.

Once it booted back up, I checked Task Manager for anything unusual. AVG had been taking up about 5% disk usage and various Service Host: Local Systems were occasionally using ~25% CPU. I ran a MalwareBytes scan, which came back clean, so I uninstalled AVG (since I never use it anyway) and shut down for the night.

Today, my laptop is still warmer/louder than usual and every now and then, a service host will hog 25% of my CPU and 59.3 MB of memory. I did some Googling and found a few threads on here from people who have had the same problem. They were directed to use some antiviruses and other programs which fixed the problem.

Could this be caused by a virus or other error that MalwareBytes didn't pick up? I have to admit that I don't know much about computers and what a service host even does!

Many thanks!

Edited by ireallyhateviruses, 30 June 2016 - 11:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:31 PM

Hello, with Service Host issues it's best to get a deeper look. Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users