Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP machine cannot see Win 7 machine but can connect to all others

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drichie

drichie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:26 AM

I have an 4 pcs networked, XP, Vista, Win 7, and Win 10. I'll number them to alleviate confusion.

XP=machine 1

Vista=machine 2

Win 7=machine 3

Win 10=machine 4

M1 can connect to M2 and M4

M2 can connect to M1, M3, and M4

M3 can connect to M2 and M4

M4 can connect to M1, M2, and M3

So...M1 and M3 do not connect or see each other at all. I have disabled all firewalls. They have worked together for years.

Any ideas why this just changed and how to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:22 PM

I'd look at what is going on with #1 and #3.  I, since 3 ought to be able to able to connect to all.  XP doesn't see Win 7 and Win 7 doesn't see XP.  I would just ensure that the settings/sharing on those two is properly set up.

Louis

#3 drichie

drichie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

Hi Louis,

It seems that the sharing is set up properly since other pcs can see each other just not those two. I plugged in another pc just to see if they could connect and they cannot "see" each other either. So..that makes me think there is something going on with the ip address possibly? I have performed an ipconfig/release and renew. Any other suggestions?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:29 PM

Did you check the workgroup settings for those two suggested systems?

Louis

OK, I figured it out (I think).  I have a couple of systems so I just turned on the Win 7 system.  The Win 7 system could see and access all files on my XP system...but the XP system could only see that the Win 7 system was part of the workgroup, could not access anything and reflected a box requesting login name and password when I tried to see the contents of the Win 7 system.

Eventually...I realized that the request for login/password just might refer to the name/password I use to login on the Win 7 system (I've been too lazy to just disable it)...so I put my login name/password for the Win 7 system...into the box displayed.  I am now able to fully access all drives on the Win 7 system from the XP system.

Edited by hamluis, 30 June 2016 - 05:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users