Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Anti Virus And Firewall?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Seth_z

Seth_z

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:01 PM

Hello,

I am in the process of reinstalling my operating system for un related reasons.
I wanted to upgrade to a new anti virus and firewall (doesn't need to be the same company as long as they can work side by side). I'm not really sure what's good out there. I don't care if it's free or not since it's about type I got one. I just want to know what everyone thinks about what's out there. I heard zone alarm is good, but is their anti virus good too? (was looking at the security suite). Any info on this would be appreciated :thumbsup: (sorry if this is disscussed somewhere else, I didn't install my grapic card driver yet so it is running anything visual really slowwww)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:33 PM

This topic lists several kinds of security programs that are available. Many of them are free. There are some other legitimate programs as well - if unsure about one, post a topic about it and ask.

This tutorial discusses means of staying safe on the internet.

I personally use:

SpywareBlaster
Spyware Guard
Spybot
Ad-Aware SE
and ZoneAlarm Security Suite

I now use the free version of Edwido as a standalone manually operated spyware checker on my Windows XP SP2 Home Edition.

It's important to make sure that whatever product you get will be compatible with your operating system.

An important thing to consider when getting an Anti-Virus product is your e-mail:

I used to have Symantec Corporate Edition as my Anti-Virus, and my university e-mail account was IMAP, and Symantec - AKA Norton - doesn't scan IMAP mail, only POP mail. I find it very interesting that the 6 virus files that Panda Online found were all attached to my IMAP mail, and none to my POP mail. I do know that ZoneAlarm AntiVirus will scan incoming -but not outgoing - IMAP. I don't know about the others, other than Norton/Symantec which doesn't. (I find it very odd that the University strongly recommends Symantec when the e-mail system is IMAP).

Hope this helps,

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:48 PM

I highly reccomend Zone Alarm firewall. As for antivirus I use a share ware so I cant really reccomend a good one. Anyways heres a good list from BC where you should find nice freeware programs. (Note: its a bad idea to run 2 or more antivirus/firewall for they may interrupt each other.
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:39 AM

Here is a new anti-virus program that is also available for free.

Active Virus Shield powered by Kaspersky.
You will have to provide an email address to receive an activation key.
Installation Instructions and Active Virus Shield FAQs.
The scanner comes bundled with an additional toolbar for Internet Explorer that shows the PC's security status and contains a password manager. During the install, it is recommended to uncheck the Security Toolbar component because of its adware functionality and tendency to freeze the browser.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users