Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with icon display

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Eugenije

Eugenije

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:44 AM

Heyo,

I use Dev-Cpp for programming and I created a simple tool, coded in C, without GUI and I want it to start every time my system boots.

I didn't want to temper with registry so firstly I simply copied the program to the Startup folder.

It start correctly but the programs icon which I made does not display.

I've also tried making a batch file which will start it or an Internet shortcut to my file.

Anyone had this problem before?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:20 PM

As in it's not displaying in windows within the startup folder?

Personally I have never used Dev-Cpp before so I can't say for sure, but it may be because you didn't create an icon file?

Try follow this guys tutorial on setting the icon and let me know if it works!

#3 Eugenije

Eugenije
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

Basically, it displays the icon when I start the program manually, but if I start it any other way on Startup it won't display it.

I tried creating a batch file to start it, an Internet Shortcut and a registry key to start it. It just displays console or exe icon and never displays mine.

I've done it as the guy in the video.

#4 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:01 PM

It doesn't sound like that's a program problem to be honest.  Have you run any registry cleaners recently?

#5 Eugenije

Eugenije
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:00 AM

I didn't run any of those because I know that they can cause more havoc rather than fix things or clear up space.

Even if I select a pre-made icon in Dev-Cpp it will display normally on the screen and in Windows Explorer, but if I start the program by a batch file in Startup/registry it only shows a cmd icon. By the way I found out that if you make a shortcut to the file and put it in Startup it will display the icon, however I want the application to be mobile so that it can Enable/Disable Startup and I do not know of any way to make a shortcut and the Internet says it isn't simple too.

#6 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:35 AM

If you move the program to a different directory (as in just the executable that you run), does it display the icon?

Edited by KingDavidlll, 10 July 2016 - 04:36 AM.

#7 Eugenije

Eugenije
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:23 AM

Yep, it keeps the icon, if I start the batch file manually it will display the icon, but it won't do so if Startup called the batch file.

#8 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:09 AM

It's a .bat file not an exe?  You could possibly create a workaround which calls the file from another bat file. 

#9 Eugenije

Eugenije
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:19 AM

Nonono, the file I coded is coded in Dev-Cpp in C++ programming language and it is an .exe file. However I want to start it every time my system starts so I copied the file in Startup and the program didn't display icon. I created a registry key and it didn't display icon. I created a batch file in Startup folder to start my program and it still didn't display icon.

#10 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:25 AM

To be honest I have no idea and would be doing the same thing you have probably done - googling for possible ideas.

The only thing that could possibly do it is if you get an external program to do it or don't use DevC++.  A link to doing this is: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/22523/

#11 Eugenije

Eugenije
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:29 PM

Very odd problem. Will try to use some icon changer.

Anyhow, thanks for helping me out, I know this is a wierd thing.

#12 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:17 PM

No problem! Let me know if you fix it as I'm fairly curious

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users