Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Touchscreen After Win 8.1 Reinstall

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 mannshands

mannshands

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:42 AM

Hi,
Have a HP Pavilion 14-b178sa laptop, a touchscreen model. Came with Win 8. Touchscreen worked. Upgraded to Win 8.1, touchscreen worked. Then I dropped the HDD and busted it. I replaced the HDD and installed Win 8.1 x64(Amazon retail version since I never made a backup image). Updated all drivers from the HP site. Everything is perfect except the touchscreen doesn't work. No settings for it in Control Panel, see pics. I do have a USB touchscreen controller listed as installed in Device Manager, see pics. On HP site no other drivers are listed for it in Win 8.1 drivers, I did see a driver for Win 8 related to touchscreen functions, but not a HID driver as mentioned in the HP support forum as what is required for touch to work. Does anyone know a safe place to get the needed driver that HP does not clearly label if they even offer it at all? Maybe its hidden in a Chipset driver? But I updated those...

One commenter in HP forum said a BIOS update might be required, but as it worked before with this BIOS I don't think thats the prob.
Anyone got an insight into touchscreens? Is it just a setting I can't find or something trickier?

I do have a HP tower with win 8 OEM. Would a recovery disc made on that work in the HP laptop and provide touchscreen functions? Will it auto-activate since its all HP?
Thanks,
mannshands

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:01 AM

Tap F2 at boot and do a Component test on the touchscreen.

This troubleshooting guide is for all in ones for 8 but you can use it for 8.1.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03488148

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 June 2016 - 09:10 AM.

#3 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:24 AM

Tap F2 at boot and do a Component test on the touchscreen.

This troubleshooting guide is for all in ones for 8 but you can use it for 8.1.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03488148

Hi,

Thanks for rapid reply.

That brings up a window, Hardware Diagnostics for UEFI v 1.6.

The only options are Memory Test and Hard Drive Check and Language and Exit.

No way to do touchscreen diagnostic. I did all the HP suggestions already.

In Settings/PC Info it says No Pen or Touchscreen Input.

Anything else?

M.

Edited by mannshands, 30 June 2016 - 09:40 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:31 AM

Right click the USB touchscreen controller and select Update Driver > Automatic. Does it say the driver is the latest. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 June 2016 - 09:31 AM.

#5 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:42 AM

Right click the USB touchscreen controller and select Update Driver > Automatic. Does it say the driver is the latest. 

It says Best driver already installed.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

If all your drivers have been updated to the latest then I am out of ideas other than to revert to 8 but that is not the best of options as Microsoft is no longer supporting 8 with security updates. 

The recovery disk on the tower would not work on the laptop because of hardware differences and would also fail to activate.

You can try installing Windows 10 and see if that lets the touchscreen work but there are many posts on the HP forum of people losing the touchscreen when upgrading from 8.1 to 10. Updating the BIOS may be a good idea as the Windows 8 and later touchscreen driver works with the computers firmware. 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh406720(v=vs.85).aspx

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 June 2016 - 09:55 AM.

#7 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:16 AM

There are less drivers listed for Windows 8.1 for your laptop compared to those for Windows 8. A BIOS update version F.1C and a firmware update for the touchscreen version 1.00 are available under Windows 8. I suggest you apply both updates if you haven't already, even though they are listed under Windows 8, I see no reason why they should not apply for 8.1 as well. Get them from here http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-14-Sleekbook/5355021/model/5399420

Take a look at this site as well http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03488148#AbT1

Edited by Stancestans, 30 June 2016 - 10:25 AM.

#8 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:30 AM

As touchscreen worked worked with this Bios and Win 8.1 before I see no reason to risk flashing the BIOS yet. Or is the BIOS update different from a full BIOS flash?  I got an error message when I tried to install AUO Touchscreen Firmware Update for Win 8. "eGalaxUpdate: Check model name fail".

Edited by mannshands, 30 June 2016 - 10:36 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:53 AM

A Bios flash would be your last resort. A BIOS update is a full flash. 

Right click the USB touchscreen device in Device Manager and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line into your next post. 

#10 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:43 AM

A Bios flash would be your last resort. A BIOS update is a full flash. 

Right click the USB touchscreen device in Device Manager and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line into your next post. 

USB\VID_0EEF&PID_A107&REV_1808
USB\VID_0EEF&PID_A107

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:30 PM

Unfortunately I could not find a Windows 8.1 driver for the above hardware ID. I realize your options are now limited but I don't know how else to proceed. I did find a generic driver for the above Hardware ID that is 64bit but I can't say for sure if it's Windows 8.1 compatible.

If you open Windows update is anything touchscreen offered in optional updates?

Edit: I found another source, from the company that makes the touch screen. There are two different drivers. I don't know which one pertains to your computer. 

http://www.eeti.com.tw/drivers_Win.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 June 2016 - 12:46 PM.

#12 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:48 PM

Unfortunately I could not find a Windows 8.1 driver for the above hardware ID. I realize your options are now limited but I don't know how else to proceed. I did find a generic driver for the above Hardware ID that is 64bit but I can't say for sure if it's Windows 8.1 compatible.

If you open Windows update is anything touchscreen offered in optional updates?

Nope, did every possible Win update anyway, still no help.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:49 PM

See my edited post on the drivers from EETI.

#14 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:19 PM

See my edited post on the drivers from EETI.

Cool. Thanks, will check that now.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:20 PM

Hopefully one of the drivers will work. Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users