Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

YouTube’s progress bar Preview-Thumbnails, Disappeared!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ibistot

ibistot

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:25 AM

- Preview-Thumbnails in YouTube’s progress bar Disappeared !!!

Hi,

well, this small "tooltip" preview-video-frame which pops-up while hovering the mouse over a point in youtube's video progress bar, 

(which helps to quickly navigate to a desired position on video storyline), suddenly, DISAPPEARED!

In fact, didn't disappeared at all, but it shows as a small BLACK rectangle frame. No preview!
I can't think of anything I did to might have caused that. :\ :(
(May be the recent update of flashplayer for Mozilla FF).
Is there some remedy/solution to it? 

Thanks a lot.

Edited by hamluis, 30 June 2016 - 10:43 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:31 AM

Does this occur using another browser?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ibistot

ibistot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:26 PM

Good question. I forgot to check the first time. Well, in IE this small tooltip-preview-thumb shows exactly the frame where I hover the mouse!

So, I guess it has to do with Mozilla FF? or, perhaps some wird "setting" in the Youtube's setting (i might have "touched" a bit without knowing...)

Is there perhaps, some Youtube setting for "enable/disabling" this preview feature?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:47 AM

Try running Firefox in without any addons.

Press the windows key Windows_Logo_key.gif + r on your keyboard at the same time to open the Search Program and Files box.

Copy and paste the following into the search box and press Enter.

firefox --safe-mode

Select Start in Safe Mode.

Once you have done this see if YouTube works.

Edited by dc3, 01 July 2016 - 08:51 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ibistot

ibistot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for the immediate response.

I knew about running Mozilla FF in "Safe Mode" the way you suggested, but I was always somehow "scared" of some even major system "crash",

so, I first  tried to UN-RE-install the addon.

After UnInstalling the "NPAPI" Flashplayer addon for Mozilla, the missing preview-video-frame in youtube's videos RETURNED!!!

Although, the page recognizing that the missing addon was asking "if I want to install it"! but, the videos play just fine [even most responsive],

and the preview frame is there! ... (the only present flashplyer addon, in the system, was the "ActiveX" one for IExplorer).  

BUT, some pages with some active multimedia content, eg. with audio applet bar (with :play", "stop", "pause" buttons), do NOT even LOAD! like in this page :
http://www.symbole.gr/musice/aoath/272-2010-10-16-20-12-24  
So, I tried to re-install again the latest fplayer NPAPI addon, but the preview-frame... again BLACK! 

I even tried to clean install 2 PREViOUS versions of the FPlayer addon, the v21 and v20, but, the problem remained the same! :(

If nothing else, I guess I'll have to try your sugestion to run ff in Safe Mode the way you said, though - needless to say - I have some fears doing that...

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:01 AM

Uninstall Firefox, then reinstall it.

#7 ibistot

ibistot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:18 PM

before I do that, (i think I;ll have to reinstall all the addons to it, one-by-one),

Let me say something "odd" I observed:

this "mouse-over preview frame in youtube's progress bar" does NOT show ONLY when a video is playbacked in Youtube's page;

But IF the very same video is played, eg. in Facebook page, or in a blog,  it shows pretty well. !!!

I guess that might mean that the problem is browser not-dependant; isn't it?

weird...

#8 ibistot

ibistot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:39 AM

UPDATE-1 :

I did un-re-install FF, but the issue remains.

In fact, I'm using FF vesrion 30.0 and not intending on updating to the newest one (I think it's around 47 now), because after v.30, the "CoolPreviews" Addon stopped being supported and I have come to get used to it so much, that I cannot think of using a browser without this great functionality. (Haven;t found any real alternative to it, yet anyway; Nor in another of the major browsers).
But, I don't think the fact of using a previous version of the browser has anything to do with it, because I do so, since more than a year now, with no problem at all, so far. (Doing all the rest updates: Flashplayer, Java, etc.) Just about a week ago, this problem popped-up!
I guess there must be some setting in youtube's options (maybe for resources economy) that I haven't been able to discover.

UPDATE-2 :

I just even tried running FF in Safe Mode as you suggested in the begining.

Nope!!!

the "preview frame" in time-bar is STiLL BLACK.!!!

➤ The strange thing is that all work fine, if the youtube's video, playbacks EVERYWHERE ELSE

(eg.Facebook page, or in a blog), BUT in its own page...!!! Really weird!

Edited by ibistot, 06 July 2016 - 07:41 PM.

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:42 AM

Have you checked flash? Does it effect other browsers?

#10 ibistot

ibistot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:40 PM

Have you checked flash? Does it effect other browsers?

of course, first thing. It shows that everything is in place and working right.

Ironic.

As I noted in above update, the strange thing is that all work fine, if the youtube's video, playbacks EVERYWHERE ELSE

(eg. Facebook page, or in a blog), BUT in its own page...!!! Really weird!

#11 ibistot

ibistot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:04 PM

Today, I tried something new:

Installed a new browser, "Pale Moon"  which has the same open source code as Mozilla, and uses the same FlashPlayer type (NPAPI) as Mozilla. Not the "activeX" one, as IE.

Well, the problem is THERE TOO !!! : that mouse-over preview frame shows as a "black rectangle".

And AGAiN, this happen ONLY when a video plays in the Youtube's page, IF the very same video appears  in any other page, the preview frame, shows just FINE.!!!

It has become a ...Puzzle.  :killcomp:

#12 ibistot

ibistot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

1. I tried deactivating "Hardware acceleration" on Flash Properties (some suggested it helped them fix the same problem), but it didn't, in my case.
2. I cleared out "All Cache" from Mozilla browser (a few, suggested it was helpfull for them), but again, not here... :(
it's frustrating.

PS. I thought I could upload a snapshot of the problem but I see there's no such option in this forum.

#13 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:25 PM

Do you have any kind of firewall of antivirus which might be blocking the script on the page? 

Can you try on a different device or network/proxy

Does it effect HTML5 Youtube videos? Isn't that the default now?

Edited by Trikein, 10 July 2016 - 12:26 PM.

#14 ibistot

ibistot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:09 AM

1.  Do you have any kind of firewall of antivirus which might be blocking the script on the page? 

2.  Can you try on a different device or network/proxy

3.  Does it effect HTML5 Youtube videos? Isn't that the default now?

Thanks for responding.

1.  I have Kaspersky Pure and as far as I can check youtube's page is not blocked; Now,... you're refering to some "script" of the page. I don't know how to check such a thing.

2.  I can't understand what you're suggesting.  Also, I have no idea what "proxy" is.

3.  Can you guide me how to check this? - I don;t know about Html5 videos.

In my effort to find a solution, I installed last version of Mozilla FF v47.0.1 (32bit) :  the "preview-thumb" in the timeline,  shows OK!!!

The thing is, that the addon "CoolPrevious" is not supported anymore, and, as I explained already in the #8 message, I cannot live without it,

so I have stick to FF vesrion 30.0 (32bit), since a year and had no problems so far.

If the problem is some compatibility issue between the latest Flashplayer version to comply with the latest FF version,

IF I continue to use the previous version of both (v30 for FF, and v.21 for Flashplayer, that used to work just fine untill 10 days ago) should it all run as before?

Why  such a "glitch" all of a sudden?  (that the "preview-thumb" disappeared).

and, anyway, how to remedy this?

#15 ibistot

ibistot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:27 AM

SOLVED ! ! !

Yupeeeee!!!!!! thank you, all!

I was told from a friend to check for this HTML5 "thing" video type:

➤  CHECKED herehttps://www.youtube.com/html5
In the last box, I was telling to " ASK for the HTML5 program ",  I clicked on it, ...

refreshed the browser and now ALL is WORKiNG OK. )

It was a headache...
Thanks again - all of you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users