Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lan Party

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jerrykobes

jerrykobes

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:44 PM

We are having a LAN Party tonight and everytime we have one we run into the same problem, trying to copy files over the network. Typically we have one person sharing and a few copying, thus creating a bottleneck. Then those who finally get the file after an hour of copying start to share it themselves for the others who have yet to get the copy. And then another hour goes by.

Is there any better method of going about this, and if so how would we go about it? One thing I was thinking is copying the file to everyone at on time by multicasting it but I have very little experience with that and have never heard of multicast programs made for just single files or directories. They all seem to be for imaging programs. Are there any easy to use Windows multicast programs other there that would help us fix this problem?

Does anyone have any ideas as to how we can do things more efficiently whether its multicasting or anything else? And if you do have an idea, how should we do it?

Thanks,
Jerry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:19 PM

What type of files are you talking about and what is the typical size of these files?

A simple and fast way I use is to put the file(s) on a usb flash drive and copy it from there. Takes a matter of seconds for each person.

#3 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:15 PM

What I want to know is, are you using ethernet? If so what is the connection speed? Also are you using a hub or a switch?
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:08 PM

Or burn the files to a couple of cds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users