Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes randomly for seconds at a time

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 P_Eldrich

P_Eldrich

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:24 AM

The computer doesn't freeze permanently or crash, rather it stalls for a second or two and then continues on normally. It's been doing this since I got it around a month ago. I have tried monitoring my computer using MSI Afterburner to see what happens whenever this occurs, and it seems that the GPU and CPU drop to 0% usage for the duration of the freeze. If I'm playing a game (which is usually when this occurs, or at least, when it's most noticeable), an offline game will freeze video, audio, and inputs, while an online game seems to only freeze the video, letting the audio and inputs continue functioning.

Although it seems to occur randomly in that I can't seem to forcibly reproduce it, I have noticed a bit of a trend. It seems that every time its happens during a game, the game is loading some sort of effect, model, texture, ect mid-game (as opposed to during a loading screen). I have played these games on less powerful hardware (with the same operating system) and such things have never occured, so I can assume that it isn't simply a problem with the games I play.

My computer specs, if it matters:

Model: MSI GL62 6QF

GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 2.60 GHz

RAM: 8GB

Sorry if this isn't the right forum to post this in.

Edited by P_Eldrich, 30 June 2016 - 12:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:58 AM

- Install PcWintech's Cleanmem. Disable everything (for the time being) but make sure you to enable the system tray icon that shows the % of used memory. When you're playing a game then keep an eye on what this tray icon reports. I could imagine that memory usage is and remains very high during playing those games.

- If the % remains high then enable the Cleanmem features. This program reduces memory usage every 15 minutes.

- Your HD could be failing. Run GSmartControl and tell us how many pink/red lines show up in the attributes tab (except for "Temperature").

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/

#3 P_Eldrich

P_Eldrich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:59 AM

- Install PcWintech's Cleanmem. Disable everything (for the time being) but make sure you to enable the system tray icon that shows the % of used memory. When you're playing a game then keep an eye on what this tray icon reports. I could imagine that memory usage is and remains very high during playing those games.

- If the % remains high then enable the Cleanmem features. This program reduces memory usage every 15 minutes.

- Your HD could be failing. Run GSmartControl and tell us how many pink/red lines show up in the attributes tab (except for "Temperature").

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/

About 3.8GB of my 8GB of RAM are being used by the most intensive game. I don't know if thats "very high". It seems pretty stable, rising and falling slowly, and dropping significantly on menu screens.

I bought this computer brand new about a month ago, so I doubt the HD is failing, but I ran the program and I see no pink or red lines in the attributes tab. I've included an attached screenshot of the entirety of the data if there's anything notable here.

Or, was I supposed to run the program until the stall occured and then check to see the results afterwards?

Attached Files

Edited by P_Eldrich, 30 June 2016 - 05:00 AM.

#4 P_Eldrich

P_Eldrich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:55 AM

Still having this issue.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:19 AM

If you are overclocking the system can freeze or crash set all overclocked components to there original factory configurations. 

Have you perform a clean boot to find out if any one of the startup programs or third party services causing the issue.

Update all device drivers.

Edited by FreeBooter, 03 July 2016 - 02:19 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Sem_Jonson

Sem_Jonson

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:01 AM

I have the same problem in my Windows 10, PC freeze for a second or two  and after a see Windows message about the Video drive is not respond and restore video driver. After one month my PC is burn perhaps problem in Power supply or Mother board.

Check all your hardware, be carefully

#7 axe0

axe0

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:43 AM

Could you please upload a msinfo32.nfo log.

To do this:

1. Search 'msinfo32'
  2. Click 'File' in the left upper corner
  3. Choose 'save' and save it as msinfo32.nfo in a directory you can easily find
  4. Right click the saved file > choose 'send to' > 'compressed (zipped) folder'
  5. Upload the zip file

Kind regards,
Axe0

#8 P_Eldrich

P_Eldrich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:38 PM

If you are overclocking the system can freeze or crash set all overclocked components to there original factory configurations. 

Have you perform a clean boot to find out if any one of the startup programs or third party services causing the issue.

Update all device drivers.

All drivers are up to date as far as I know. I am not overclocking any part of the computer.

Could you please upload a msinfo32.nfo log.

To do this:

1. Search 'msinfo32'
  2. Click 'File' in the left upper corner
  3. Choose 'save' and save it as msinfo32.nfo in a directory you can easily find
  4. Right click the saved file > choose 'send to' > 'compressed (zipped) folder'
  5. Upload the zip file

Okay, I've included it here.

Attached Files

Edited by P_Eldrich, 04 July 2016 - 06:38 PM.

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:06 PM

Have you perform a clean boot to find out if any one of the startup programs or third party services causing the issue?

How do you update the device driver?

Edited by FreeBooter, 04 July 2016 - 07:07 PM.

Posted Image

#10 P_Eldrich

P_Eldrich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:57 AM

Have you perform a clean boot to find out if any one of the startup programs or third party services causing the issue?

How do you update the device driver?

When I bought this computer a month ago I did a fresh install of Windows 7 (because it came with a different version of Windows) and installed the latest versions of all the device drivers manually.

I'm a bit confused about the clean boot thing. If i disable services, won't that stop certain programs from running? I won't really be able to see if the problem is occuring or not if I can't play games because it isn't noticable otherwise.

I also haven't ever figured out a way to forcibly reproduce the effect, and sometimes the computer can go days at a time without the problem occuring; testing repeatedly with different services enabled or disabled to narrow down which one is causing the problem will be completely impractical until I'm able to do so.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:27 AM

You will be disabling the third party services which belongs to applications you have installed, by disabling all startup programs and services you can use the computer and most applications will work even games so what ever works you will start them to test the issue has been resolved if it is then you will know one or more startup programs or services causing the issue follow the instructions at Microsoft website to find out which startup program causing the issue. After you have finnish you can turn those disabled services on microsoft website has instructions on how to do that.

Posted Image

#12 P_Eldrich

P_Eldrich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:34 PM

Okay, I performed a clean boot and played for a period, but the problem still eventually occurred.

#13 P_Eldrich

P_Eldrich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:13 AM

I changed a video card setting (changed the PhysX processor from Auto to GTX960M) that seemed to reduce the frequency of the shorter (less than 1 second) stalls, but the longer (1-3 second) stalls still occur.

I've used MSI Afterburner to monitor my computer with a game running in the background and I've noticed something interesting. It seems there occasionally there is some sort of clicking sound from inside my computer, and when this happens the GPU sometimes drops to 0% usage.

Edited by P_Eldrich, 15 July 2016 - 12:13 AM.

#14 P_Eldrich

P_Eldrich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:50 PM

I performed a chkdsk and it didn't find any problems as far as I can tell. The problem still continues to occur even after the chkdsk.

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:29 PM

Clicking sound could be coming from hard disk drive follow instruction below to view health of your hard disk drive and repair surface errors.

Hard Drive Diagnostics

http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users