Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Never Used Linux

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:29 PM

I have an old (yes its really old) Dell Latitude D610 with an Intel Pentium M 1.6Ghz and RAM is maxed out at 2GB. It currently has Windows 7 installed and it does work well.

But I don't use that computer any more (just found it in the back of my closet). Charged the battery and it booted right up.

I would like to play with Linux and would consider installing it on this computer. What would be the best version (for a beginner) to install on this computer? 

All comments welcome

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:49 PM

Hi Welcome to Linux.

Has you PC got a working DVD drive?  Do you know how to boot your PC from a DVD drive?

My suggestion would be Linux Mint XFCE.

https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_qiana_xfce_whatsnew.php

You can download it and try it as live without install,

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

Edited by NickAu, 29 June 2016 - 11:50 PM.

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:19 AM

I second Nick's suggestion. Linux Mint Xfce should be an excellent choice for your computer.

#4 LASERzzzzzz

LASERzzzzzz

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:04 AM

hi

....also never used Linux. I think it's a good idea to use a LIVE Linux version: i also want to use (from time to time)

Linux on my Laptop(s) but I have Windows installed on both machines and i need both windows installations every day.

My (Gaming-)Laptops: msi GE60-2PE (GTX860M, i7, SSD Crucial M500) and msi GT72-2QD (GTX970M, i7, SSD)

Do you think this LIVE-Linux (see POST #02) will  also run on my Laptops ?

Thanks!

LASERzzzzzz..................live from EUROPE/Germany..............live from EUROPE/Germany..............live from EUROPE/Germany..............live from EUROPE/Germany.............

Edited by LASERzzzzzz, 30 June 2016 - 02:06 AM.

....i dont like CHAOS but CHAOS likes me! ....live from EUROPE/germany !!! ....live from EUROPE/germany !!!

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:15 AM

Do you think this LIVE-Linux (see POST #02) will  also run on my Laptops ?

Yes. There are several ways to try Linux.

LASERzzzzzz

Please start a new post, the instructions we give Ranger wont be the same as the instructions you will need.

#6 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:16 AM

I third the motion- Linux Mint XFCE is great for beginners.After that, you might consider Linux Mint Mate.It's my favorite!

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:46 AM

For me I say use Manjaro or Ubuntu Mate.

Manjaro has become my defacto distro in recent times, there are a few things in it that are not that beginner friendly but it has a great community to make up for this.

https://manjaro.github.io/

Due to your 32bit machine and Ubuntu possibly killing off 32bit support in the near future Manjaro may be the only option.

Even if the main distro drops 32bit support it does have community editions.

Also never used linux are you sure? ever use android?

Edited by MadmanRB, 30 June 2016 - 06:57 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:26 AM

I actually had to go and look at it ( haven't used it in 5 or 6 years) , yes it does have a DVD ROM drive. It worked when I installed Windows 7. I will probably just install the recommended OS. 

I'll boot it up again later today to see if the DVD drive still works. 

Yes this is a 32 bit machine, processor will not support 64 bit OS. I may consider using the computer to program robots, so lets see if I can figure this out.

I will be looking at this

https://skitterman.wordpress.com/2012/01/15/lego-mindstorms-nxt-2-0-support-in-debianubuntu/

More comments welcome

Edited by Ranger SVO, 30 June 2016 - 08:33 AM.

#9 BaronCardinal

BaronCardinal

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:34 AM

I have had an exceptional amount of luck with Lubuntu on several older computers.  I know that Ubuntu has started to consider discontinuing the 32 bit series.  However with Lubuntu being designed for older computers, it could be worth a look. It has been really easy to pick up and work with for me.

#10 vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:05 AM

Any of the Linux Ubuntu Mate / Xubuntu / Lubuntu / Linux Mint Mate / Linux Mint Xfce are good choices IMO.

All Linux Distros mentioned are excellent choices for older hardware and seem to work right out of the box.

Ubuntu Mate is my personal choice but any of them are easy to navigate with minimal learning curve.

If looking for a Windows desktop environment the Linux Mint Distros would be the best choice.

#11 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:11 AM

I do sincerely appreciate all the responses. I am currently downloading Linux Mint and I will burn it to DVD later today. 

Currently for me this is a learning experience, I'm curious. And I get to use a computer I bought back in late 2004. I can't  believe it still works.

After I get it installed, probably Saturday or Sunday. I'll post any questions I have. Thanks again everyone

#12 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:40 AM

Currently for me this is a learning experience, I'm curious. And I get to use a computer I bought back in late 2004. I can't believe it still works.

No reason why it shouldn't work, TBH. I currently triple-boot with 3 32-bit Puppies on an even older 2002/3 Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop. It's been pretty well overhauled & upgraded in recent years, but it's still doing what it's always done; being useful and productive.

I won't say I'd recommend it to just anyone; Puppy has its quirks, and does take a wee bit of getting used to, but.....it's always been targeted at ex-Windows users (since it's full of 'wizards' and 'tooltips' galore to guide you through everything), and the Forums:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php

...are very 'user-friendly' and extremely helpful. No-one gets made to feel like a 'noob' for asking silly questions. It's also extremely fast, since the entire thing loads into, and runs in RAM.....and you've got plenty of RAM there for Puppy to run, & jump, & play in. I'd say it's definitely worth a look:-

http://puppylinux.com/

The current, 32-bit version of 'Tahrpup' (6.05), is based on the binary code from the Ubuntu LTS release, 'Trusty Tahr' 14.04 LTS (which is supported until April 2019), and has access to the huge Ubuntu software repositories besides. Thoroughly recommended, and you should have no problems running it on your hardware..

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 01 July 2016 - 08:50 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:42 PM

After I get it installed, probably Saturday or Sunday. I'll post any questions I have. Thanks again everyone

Please do, we would love to hear if you got-er going?  In fact don't hesitate to ask about the install before you dive in.

I can only assume you are Installing Over Windows 7? unless the Drive is bigger than online reports for that pc.  Most I see are reporting a little faster CPU than you did, maybe it is not US Version:  Pentium M 740 1.73GHz/40GB/512MB

http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-latitude-d610/specs/

If it really ran well on W7, then as VT suggested, Mint Mate would also be a good choice, but Xfce will leave you with a little more left over for other stuff with it's power saving attributes.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:43 PM

Please do, we would love to hear if you got-er going?  In fact don't hesitate to ask about the install before you dive in.

I can only assume you are Installing Over Windows 7? unless the Drive is bigger than online reports for that pc.  Most I see are reporting a little faster CPU than you did, maybe it is not US Version:  Pentium M 740 1.73GHz/40GB/512MB

http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-latitude-d610/specs/

If it really ran well on W7, then as VT suggested, Mint Mate would also be a good choice, but Xfce will leave you with a little more left over for other stuff with it's power saving attributes.

I'll boot it up later and double check, but I'm pretty sure the processor is a Pentium M 730. The RAM was originally 512Mb. I upgraded it to 2Gb a couple of years later. 

Windows 7 was installed only to see if it would run it and it actually runs decent in the Dell. Not great but OK. I actually forgot about that old computer, just found it in the back of the closet a couple of days ago. When I first plugged it in the battery light was blinking orange which meant that the battery was bad. But it hasn't been plugged in for 5 to 6 years. Left it plugged in for a few hours and went to check on it and the battery light was green. 

I did download Mint Mate and I did burn it to a DVD a couple of hours ago. Yes, I intend to format the HD before I install Mint Mate. I also need to check the HD, it either has the original 40GB or an 80GB, I don't remember which.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:33 AM

Nice! just was curious about the CPU, nothing important.  If it is the Pentium M 740 1.73GHz that will be good for you!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users