Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't save/download anything onto my computer.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ayface

Ayface

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:48 PM

Hello, earlier today I encountered that while trying to download paint.net and gimp online that I can't save/download anything to my computer. McAfee would scan the download, the open, save, or cancel bar at the bottom would pop up, but when I clicked open nothing would happen. When I clicked save or save as and tried to save it somewhere, it said the file was corrupted. (This happened for both paint.net and gimp.) After this incedent, I realized that the following incedent is probably connected to the one above.

Even earlier today, I realized that I was logged off of my Gmail account which I am always logged on to. When I went to log back in and made sure the "Remember me" button was enabled, it gave me an error message saying that my web browser doesn't store cookies. I checked that out and I had it set to store cookies. I tried again except I didn't enable the "remember me" button and tried going onto YouTube. I clicked the automatic sign in button on YouTube and it worked until I tried to go into my subscriptions. It prompted me to log back into my Gmail. Frustrated, I gave up.

When I first got on my computer this morning, everything was completely fine. I had no troubles whatsoever and I followed my usual routine so I didn't download anything online or go to any suspicious websites. It wasn't until several hours later that I ran into the internet cookies problem after having to do a reset of my computer after it bugged out and wouldn't let me open any tabs after I woke it up from it being asleep (this is something that happens to me at least once a day, I simply reset it and the problem is fixed.) However, even after resetting it after the Gmail and download troubles had occurred, nothing was fixed.

I figured it was malware or a virus, so I did a Malwarebytes scan and a scan using Weebroot. Both said no threats were detected, so I did a little bit of research and found nothing to help me. That's when I also realized that I couldn't save anything on MS paint because the file was corrupted. I'm not sure how to even go about fixing this, so if someone could help me, I'd really appreciate it.

Edited by Ayface, 29 June 2016 - 07:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

Uninstall all third-party antivirus programs and see if issue has been resolved.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 saranyavenkatraman

saranyavenkatraman

• Banned Spammer
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:57 AM

Hi,

Try these to clear corruption in case it has a role.

1. Run DiskCleanup - Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleanup

2. Start - type in Search box -  COMMAND   find at top of list -  RIGHT CLICK  -  RUN AS ADMIN

sfc /scannow

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program 
generates in Windows Vista cbs.log
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

3. Then run checkdisk - schedule it to run at next start and then Apply OK your way out then restart.

How to Run Check Disk at Startup in Vista
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:47 AM

There is a much simpler way to run the sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To open the Command Prompt press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

To find sfc /scannow log, reopen the Elevated Command Prompt using the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key method outlined in the instructions above. 

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the following in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click/tap on this to open the log, copy and paste it in your topic.

In order to rule out the possibility that there is a problem with the hdd, please do the following.

Please download and run SeatTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Ayface

Ayface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:44 PM

Uninstall all third-party antivirus programs and see if issue has been resolved.

This worked, thank you very much!

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:39 AM

You are very welcome!

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users