Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS not recognizing HDD

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 NateDev

NateDev

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:26 PM

Hi! I had built this PC about 1 week ago, and it got shipped to someone. They said it wasn't turning on, so I checked it, and the MB and CPU power connectors were unplugged. I plugged them back in, and everything worked great - Or so i thought. It started to boot and then told me that a disk read error has occurred. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart. i did that, but nothing happened. The BIOS is not detecting the HDD, or a Windows install disk. I cannot run CHDSK because it tells me that it is write protected. I have tried another HDD and it showed up fine in the BIOS. I went to re-install Windows 10, and the drive showed up, but it said it couldn't be installed on that drive. I closed setup, and went into the BIOS to check some things, and restarted back into the Setup. Then, the drive was not showing up again. Could this be a MB issue with the connectors, or a SATA cable breaking? Any help would be great! Thanks :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:34 PM

Could you test the HDD in another computer please?

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#3 NateDev

NateDev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

OK. I have just tried the first HDD in my other PC and it showed up fine in the BIOS. I will try the second HDD and see how that goes.

#4 NateDev

NateDev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:04 PM

I have just tried the second HDD and it does not show up. Here is a bit of clarification:

The second HDD is one I had ordered by accident, and that one was the one that showed up once in this PC, and then not anymore. It didn't show up in the second PC at all. The first one is the one I bought for this PC and it didn't show up in this PC, but it did in my second PC. Sorry if it is still kind of confusing. 

#5 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:13 PM

Probably a malfunctioning HDD

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#6 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:56 AM

Please post the photo of bios of your first pc and post your pc specs.
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#7 NateDev

NateDev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:32 PM

OK. I have not got pics of the BIOS yet, but I did try some things. What happened is that the new drive started working and showing up, so I installed Windows 10, and everything was working, until it started giving me errors at boot, and running CHKDSK automatically at boot. It completed after around 2 hours, and then I restarted my PC and it started again. I didn't click any key fast enough to stop it, and like before, it's stuck at 10%. I am now thinking that this is a motherboard issue, or a Windows install issue, because the drives worked perfectly in my other PC. I'm really hoping that this is not a motherboard issue, because the person I sent this PC to really needs it. Just a thought, could someone tamper with the PC to make it do this, or is this probably a hardware issue? Any thoughts?

Specs:

- AMD A6 7400K 3.5 to 3.9 GHz 2-core CPU (APU)

- 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory

- 1TB 7200 RPM HDD Seagate

- ASRock FM2A68M Motherboard

- Enermax Clipeus Case

- 400W EVGA Power Supply

- LG DVD/CD Reader/Writer

- ASUS 802.11b/g/n PCIe Wireless Adapter

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,820 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:02 PM

Have you run a memory test using Memtest86+. This is available on the UBCD. It is best to let it run for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight. Have you tried different SATA cables? 

#9 NateDev

NateDev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:18 PM

Yes, I have tried different SATA cables. Would trying different ram be the same as running a memory test? I really need this to be fixed quickly...

Also, since my PC is still running the CHKDSK and it is still stuck at 10%, would it be okay to shutdown, or should I leave it running?

Edited by NateDev, 30 June 2016 - 07:20 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,820 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:28 PM

Not necessarily. The RAM test may be able to find something outside of RAM such as the RAM slot of the Motherboard. A chkdsk will automatically run if Windows detects the file system is dirty. That may be the result of bad RAM, or Motherboard. If you replaced the RAM and the RAM test indicates a problem then you can narrow it down to the MB.

Edit: BIOS not detecting HDDs would seem to indicate a MB/CPU problem.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 June 2016 - 07:31 PM.

#11 NateDev

NateDev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:56 PM

I have just tried a brand new SATA cable, and the PC booted well, but it is lagging and certain icons are not showing up. I am going to try new RAM, and then I will try a memory test.

EDIT: I have just tried new RAM, and the PC booted flawlessly and right into the desktop. I think that since everything is going well, I will re-install Windows. The cause of this might have been that 1 of the RAM sticks was first installed the wrong way, but we fixed it because we saw that it would not fit in the slot. Could that have been the cause? 

Edited by NateDev, 30 June 2016 - 08:05 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,820 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:38 PM

Placing RAM into the slot the wrong way could have been the problem but RAM modules are keyed so this cannot happen. If you placed the RAM in the wrong way without powering on the computer I can't see how that would be the problem. But, If replacing the RAM caused the computer to boot flawlessly and the RAM test passes I would say you found your problem.

#13 NateDev

NateDev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:57 PM

OK. Now there is a new issue. I had done this without the DVD drive plugged in. I turned off the PC and installed it. Now, the hard drive is not being recognized in the BIOS. It didn't show in the System Browser thing where it shows a picture of the MB and the things plugged in, but it showed up in the boot menu. I tried to boot from that, and it tells me that a disk read error occurs. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart.

Edited by NateDev, 30 June 2016 - 08:59 PM.

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

Check the SMART health report for the HDD with HDD Diagnostic Tool you can also repair minor surface errors with HDD Diagnostic Tool.

Posted Image

#15 NateDev

NateDev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:12 PM

OK. I am currently burning the SeaTools ISO to a disk. Do you know why the HDD would suddenly disappear when I plug in the optical drive?

EDIT: I have just loaded up the DVD and booted from it. It has just opened up SeaTools for DOS. It says no HDDs found...

EDIT 2: I changed the SATA port and it showed up in the BIOS, but not SeaTools.

Edited by NateDev, 30 June 2016 - 09:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users