Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question On Wireless Routers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zack Ex-Soldier

Zack Ex-Soldier

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:53 PM

Well as my topic says I have a question that refers to my router. So the story is, about a year ago we got a wireless connection promised with 11 Mb/s but in reality we were getting around 130 kb/s. So actually just today we just got Qwest's internet service and in our plan we were promised 1.5 Mb/s, whereas when just going to the modem's IP addy it lists 1,519 Kbps instead of listing 1,536 kb/s which we should be getting in our plan. So I called Technical Support and all I got out of them was checking for some devices or objects that may be interfering with our connection or check a possible firewall and so forth. Well I asked them if the router itself may be capping my bandwidth and they just told me to check with some other company.

So my question is, with my wireless modem connection with Qwest, what may be the possible reasons that I'm not recieving the connection that I signed up for, could it be the Router itself? Or can someone please help me find out the reason behind this. Thanks!
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:08 PM

What kind of speeds do you see if you hard wire it instead of going wireless?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Zack Ex-Soldier

Zack Ex-Soldier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:48 PM

Nevermind I got it figured out, thank you anyways :thumbsup: .
Posted Image

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 11:04 PM

Please post the solution so others can learn.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Zack Ex-Soldier

Zack Ex-Soldier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:46 PM

Actually the solution was more or less just a misunderstanding on my part. I feel kinda stupid about missing this but I guess when you are looking for internet providers they measure the connection in bits instead of bytes. I must have either misheard or something because I was always expecting 11 megaBYTES or 1.5 MegaBYTES instead of megaBITS which as far as everyone knows 8 bits = 1 byte. So I was in fact getting exactly what I payed for.
Posted Image

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:48 PM

Simple misunderstanding.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:17 AM

Thanks for posting back! It will help others, and that is what we are about here at BC!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users