Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba satellite S55 A5295 no longer starts after changing charging port

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Itschucko

Itschucko

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:28 PM

Hello all,

I recently replaced the power port on my laptop and the computer will no longer boot up. Due to a crack in the case I have to replace the power port on my toshiba laptop every few months because it is loose and eventually starts to short. Everything went as normal replacing the cord however when I went to go turn the computer on it no longer will start. The power button will flash on as well as the on indicator in the front of the computer (the fan also starts up) after a second it all turns off. When it is plugged in the charging indicator is lit up so I know it is receiving power.

I have tried unplugging all of it and holding down the power button for 30 seconds and that didn't help.

Also if the battery is taken out but the computer is plugged in it doesn't do anything (I'm not sure if this is standard or not I just assumed most laptops could function without the battery)

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:11 PM

Does laptop work with only battery connected?

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 Itschucko

Itschucko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:24 PM

Nope the computer doesn't work either way.

#4 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:25 PM

Did you replaced the charging by yourself?, if yes then, were you grounded?, if not you could've damaged the motherboard, which would cause problems and render the laptop unusable, I would suggest opening your laptop and reseating the cables as a loose cable could also cause problems

If you took it to a technician, I suggest taking it back and tell them your problem. 

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#5 Itschucko

Itschucko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:39 PM

I did replace the port by myself. I have done it multiple times and I don't think anything was different although it's possible I wasn't grounded. If the motherboard was damaged does that mean the computer is done for good?

#6 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:44 PM

You could replace the motherboard itself, but I'd prefer taking out your HDD, buy a new laptop and insert your old HDD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Toshiba-Satellite-S55T-S55-A5295-Laptop-Motherboard-s989-H000057570-100-Test-/262215356782?hash=item3d0d40d16e:g:WgMAAOSwZ1lWgy7p

about 200 bucks

#7 Itschucko

Itschucko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:04 PM

Oh okay thank you. How difficult is it out actually replace the motherboard? I am fairly technically savvy with software, but I don't have much experience with hardware besides replacing a few cords and plugging things in. I will likely just buy a new computer but I may want to replace this motherboard too since it really did run quite well still. Thanks again for all of your help it is much appreciated.

#8 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:16 PM

not the same laptop but steps are fairly similar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users