Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network issue or just windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iqchicken

iqchicken

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

'Ello Guvnah,

This question stems from the research we've done in this other thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617884/sporadic-temporary-freezeshangs/

I'm posting here based on the final findings there.

In a nutshell here's what's going on:

System:

-Fresh install of Windows 10 pro 64 bit

-Brand new hard drive (WD10EZEX)

-MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798)

-Socket 1155 LGA

-AMD Radeon HD 7700

-2 STICKS OF 16GB DDR 3 RAM (G.Skill F3-10666CL9-8GBNT)

-K120 Logitech Keyboard

-Centrophorus M601 Mouse

Symptoms/Conditions:

- Windows temporarily freezes or hangs (with mouse movement)

- Hangs are not application specific. They have occurred during browsing, during basic windows operations, and even full screen games

- System always "recovers" within just a few seconds without requiring any other action

- Happens around 10 times a day (never really counted)

- Issue does still occur in safe mode

What I've tried:

-examined eventvwr logs (only strange error is DistributedCOM Event: 10016) DCOM error involves "Immersive Shell"

-disabled themes
-disabled pci-express options in power management
-turned windows search service off (indexing)
-performed a windows memory diagnostic (no errors detected)
-ran sfc scannow
-ran ccleaner to clean registry etc

-switched to selective startup in msconfig and disabled all startup items

-ran a HJT scan

-diabled non-windows shell extensions

-turned off smartconnect in the bios

-Monitored CPU temps (they seem to be in a decent enough range afaik)

-Switched Firefox to IceDragon

-Updated bios to latest version

I realize this may just be a core problem with windows 10 but I'm dropping this here for (at the very least) posterity. Any ideas?

System:

-Windows 10 pro 64 bit

-HDD (WD10EZEX)

-MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798)

-Socket 1155 LGA

-AMD Radeon HD 7700

-K120 Logitech Keyboard

-Centrophorus M601 Mouse

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:48 PM

Do you suspect this is a networking issue? Do the problems occur if you are physically disconnected from the network? I think your original thread is the best place for discussion.

From your other thread, you said the problem still occurred in safe mode. The next step would be to try another OS you can boot from CD, like KNOPPIX and see if the problem persists. If so, then it's probably a hardware issue. If not, then I would suggest looking at Windows Event viewer at the times of the freezes to see if it matches anything there. 

#3 iqchicken

iqchicken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:39 PM

I don't know what to suspect but I was guided here from the other thread.

Yes, the problem still occurs in safe mode. I will check again to make sure it was safe mode sans networking though.

The eventvwr shows nothing during the times of the freezes that I can tell. The only error is the dcom error which occurs just after bootup it seems.

I will look into Knoppix (never heard of it) and how to dual boot the OS'

System:

-Windows 10 pro 64 bit

-HDD (WD10EZEX)

-MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798)

-Socket 1155 LGA

-AMD Radeon HD 7700

-K120 Logitech Keyboard

-Centrophorus M601 Mouse

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:05 PM

The fact that the issue occurs when there are no networking standards enabled (Safe Mode) means it's not a networking issue. What I was confused about was I read the thread, and didn't see how you were referred to make a thread here. I don't mind troubleshooting, but networking is more my specialty, so I may not be as much help.

Knoppix is bootable from CD, so you don't have to set up a dual boot. With MSI, I think F11 during boot gets you the "Boot from.." screen, or you can move up the CD-ROM in the boot order in BIOS. 

As for troubleshooting, is this a new build, or a new install on a existing build? If existing, any problems before the new install? If new build, and problem doesn't happen with Knoppix, the next step I would suggest is trying the HDD in a different PC, or a different HD in that PC.

#5 iqchicken

iqchicken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:58 AM

Beyond that, I'd suggest asking over in the Networking forums:

It's on page two.

I will give linux a shot - as I mentioned at the top here, I'm almost certain the problem is just windows 10. But I'm not sure. The folks here know a lot more than I do and I can see your point. It certainly doesn't seem like a networking issue if networking is truly/fully disabled in safe mode.

The only thing new in the build is the hdd (and the OS of course) - everything else is about 3 years old. This issue didn't occur until windows 10 showed up on the scene.

System:

-Windows 10 pro 64 bit

-HDD (WD10EZEX)

-MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798)

-Socket 1155 LGA

-AMD Radeon HD 7700

-K120 Logitech Keyboard

-Centrophorus M601 Mouse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users