Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen goes black then turns a solid color with buzzing noise

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 happysmiles364

happysmiles364

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

Screen goes black then turns a random solid color with buzzing noise. Had this problem for a long time (>1 year), now its getting really annoying and I want to try and fix it. I usually then have to hold the power button to turn it off.

- My temps for both my CPU and GPU are fine whenever this happens.

- Only happens when I play games, sometimes it happens fast, sometimes I can go for hours before it happens.

- Almost always happens in FPS type games like Overwatch or Bioshock, but very rarely happens in MMOs like League of Legends.

- Tested with memtest86, futuremark, and prime95, all were fine.

- Recently updated to Windows 10, but even when I was in Windows 8.1 Pro it still happened.

- Updated GPU drivers recently, still didn't fix the problem.

- GPU not overclocked, tried underclocking it once but that didn't help.

- BIOS has 1 new update I can get but I'm holding off on doing it until I tried everything.

- I have all the current Windows update.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Edited by happysmiles364, 30 June 2016 - 01:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:51 PM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version FF) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 6 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Many, many NIC's installed (229).  Is this deliberate?  If so, why?

You have 3 hard drives.  What is the make/model/wattage and age of your Power Supply?

If you have BitDefender 2016 and MalwareBytes Premium installed, you will experience problems from this combination.

Although most of the problems are BSOD related, there are also problems that aren't BSOD related.

Please have a look at this forum for more discussion of these problems:  https://forums.malwarebytes.org/forum/160-bsod-crashes-kernel-debugging/

There haven't been a lot of these problems lately, so I wonder if they've finally fixed things.

So, the first step is to update both BitDefender 2016 and MalwareBytes to the latest version.

If the problems continue, stop MalwareBytes from running when Windows starts.

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Start with the video tests and please let us know the results.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 happysmiles364

happysmiles364
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:12 PM

-Updated BIOS

-I have all the current windows 10 updates, I updated it very very recently so that is probably why there are so few.

-I don't know why there are so many NIC's installed, not deliberate.

-PSU is EVGA 500B, age is ~1.5 years.

-Uninstalled MalwareBytes.

Haven't done the hardware diagnostics yet but I will test those if I get another crash. Will post back later. Thanks :)

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:14 AM

I'd start deleting those NIC's, but would first make a system restore point.

It may be easier to just reformat the system (after backing your data up) and start over fresh.

I wasn't able to find an easy way to reliably delete them all in one operation.

As for the PSU,  try removing some non-essential devices temporarily.  If there is a problem with the PSU, then lessening the load might decrease the amount of errors that you see.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:54 AM

usasma:

The Bitdefender/MBAM conflict has been fixed with the latest build of Bitdefender.  See this Bitdefender Forum link, and the MBAM Forum topic, starting from this post.

I didn't mean to "hijack" the thread.  I just thought that you would want to know - one more BSOD cause eliminated.

Have a great day, and keep up the great work! :)

Regards,

-Phil

Edited by garioch7, 02 July 2016 - 10:55 AM.

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:53 PM

Thanks Phil!  I don't follow the BitDefender forums, and didn't see the one at MalwareBytes as I only work the BSOD forums there.

EDIT:  Just posted it in their BSOD forums - certainly is a roundabout way to get to it! :0)  Thanks again!

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/185312-fixed-bsod-bad_pool_header-mwacsys/

Edited by usasma, 02 July 2016 - 07:57 PM.

#7 happysmiles364

happysmiles364
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:39 PM

-Removed all the NIC

Haven't had any crashes anymore since my last post, something must have worked!

Thanks for the help usasma and garioch7. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users